Puffy's back!

The place for general talk about all other JPop groups and related things
sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Puffy's back!

Post by sdankoehler » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:05 pm

Hey J-pop lovers, Puffy's back. They will be at the Showbox in Seattle on Saturday April 23, The Warfield in San Francisco on Tuesday April 26, The Wiltern LG in Los Angeles on Friday April 29, and in Tempe AZ at the Marquee Theater on Tuesday May 2.
Last edited by sdankoehler on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by zberry » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Their new Cartoon Network show no doubt has brought them many new fans. The first time they were in SF, they played a fairly small record store in the Haight! Now the Warfield. It's a beautiful theater with a big balcony and it's a great place to see a show. The Warfield is bigger than the Fillmore, where DCT played.

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by sdankoehler » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:37 am

Sounds great...once again, I'm there! :)

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

More dates

Post by sdankoehler » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:17 pm

Puffy just added 2 new dates to their tour. Friday April 22, at the Crystal Ballroom in Portland, OR, and Sunday April 24 at the Vogue Theater in Vancouver, BC.

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Puffy Update!

Post by sdankoehler » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:58 pm

The date and location of the San Francisco show for Puffy have been changed. They will now play on Wednesday April 27 at the Fillmore instead of the 26th at the Warfield.

Could it be low ticket sales? How much bigger is the Warfield than the Fillmore?

zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by zberry » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:27 am

Low ticket sales could be the reason. The Warfield is probably twice as big as the Fillmore, at least. Still cozy and comfortable, but the Warfield has a big balcony, and a big floor for seating. It was a huge magnificent movie theater, whereas the Fillmore is just a square floor, with minimal balcony. Also, the shows I've been to at the Warfield are usually reserved seating, whereas the Fillmore is general admission. Enjoy the show. Please, DCT, come back to the Fillmore. One more time, please!

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by sdankoehler » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:20 pm

Amen to that brother! :)

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Puffy crowd largely white!

Post by sdankoehler » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:56 am

It's almost 3:00 AM. I just got home form Puffy's Fillmore concert in San Francisco. They played a long set! SWEET! They also videotaped the concert, apparently for a DVD.

At the begining they went through the line of people waiting ot get in with their camera. I was the second person in the line, and the first to say anything. They stopped at me, and I shouted "Puffy Rocks!"

The set was a mix of old and new songs, and included an incredible cover of a Green Day song, whose title escapes me..."Do you have the time..." is the first line.

Of course I was in the front row again. :) I was amazed that the audience was very largely white people. I'd say at least 60-70% with just a splash of Japanese people here and there. Maybe there were more Japanese in back, but the front 10 rows or so seemed dominated by white and black people. Whether you like their cartoon show "Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi" or not, it's obviously working, bringing in many new fans.

There was a decent group of children there too. Fans of the cartoon I'm sure. Now they have a dedicated young fan base. I don't know how you judge whether a group has "made it" in America or not, but after seeing the devotion of fans waiting hours in line to see them, many with copies of all their cds, I'd say Puffy is much closer than I ever thought before. I'm quite happy for them!