Fascinating Woman: Miwa Yoshida (NHK Special)

What TV show is Dreams Come True appearing on this week?
zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Fascinating Woman: Miwa Yoshida (NHK Special)

Post by zberry » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:48 pm

Did anyone happen to see the NHK Special on Miwa, titled "Fascinating Woman: Miwa Yoshida"?
I caught most of it on TVJapan Monday, Aug.16, and it was very well-done, as are most NHK documentaries.
Much of it was one-on-one conversations with Miwa, about her music, her life, her inspirations, etc.
It definitely showed how her life revolves around music, and the passion she has for music. Also showed her humility and thankfulness for all the success she has achieved.
Among the highlights were an incredible live version of Hajimari no La. One sign of a great artist is being able to take a song that is considered mediocre or at least not a top hit, and then turn it into a show-stopper, and she really did that.
In another scene, before a 15th anniversary DCT concert, miwa is getting ready to enter the auditorium. She is actually entering through a side door, one for the spectators. She takes a lap, shaking hands and greeting all the fans. A real special treat, especially for those in the back. But just before she enters, she retreats to a corner, her back to the handlers and assistants, faces a column, and bows her head in concentration/prayer. She stays there for at least a minute or two. All is quiet. It's a very private moment. Then, she suddenly turns around, and looks just like a prizefighter about to enter the ring. Totally focused and ready.
There was also footage of her in Omotesando in Tokyo, and in Hokkaido, where she rolled down a hill in the snow, and visited her old school.
All in all, she seemed completely normal, sincere, and unpretentious. And passionate about music! A very fitting tribute to one of the great artists of the world.
I hope others got to see it, or that TV Japan will repeat it in the future.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:16 pm

yeah I like how in their WL concerts they try to think of fun stuff to entertain the audience with -- the horses, fireworks, DDR, etc. We shoulda tried harder to get them out for a 2nd encore -- they woulda done it if we had really wanted it...

TV Japan is available here apparently but is $25/mo. In the late 80's I was addicted to NHK's _Today's Japan_ with Karuna Shinsho that was shown nightly on PBS, but after my time in Japan I got kinda burned out on Japanese TV. Their schedule does seem pretty packed though -- looks better than what was on channels 1,3,4,6,8,10, & 12 back in Tokyo...