DCTgarden Ikeda

Post current news (and rumors) you've heard about Dreams Come True
sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

DCT Garden Ikeda

Post by sdankoehler » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:51 am

Hi everyone

DCTgarden.com has a new page called DCTgardend Ikeda. Is this a club like the one they originally wanted to open in New York?

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:47 am

DCT Garden Ikeda has a display of Miwa's stage costumes, a small library of her favorite books, a viewing area with a couch that belonged to her that viewers may sit on while they watch DVD's, and a store where special DCT items only available there may be purchased. I don't know if this was the same concept they had for the club in New York. DCT Garden Ikeda was created to help promote Miwa's home city. Miwa and Masa made a surprise visit there on opening day.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:46 pm

DCT's club in NY was supposed to be in the Chelsea district, and be multistory with a Japanese eating establishment somewhere in it.

It fell to NIMBYism.

whois for dctgarden.com used to have info of the management company that was linked with this, but that's gone now.

Ah my google-fu is good:

The company is/was called Tambourine Entertainment

http://www.clubplanet.com/content/popup/cover176a.asp

http://tenant.net/pipermail/hkonline/20 ... 00298.html

COMMUNITY GROUP DEFEATS CLUB IN WEST CHELSEA

"Overwhelming community opposition" was cited last week by State Liquor Authority Commissioner Edward Kelly in announcing the SLA's decision denying an on-premise liquor license to Tambourine Entertainment. Last year Tambourine purchased the former W.P.A. Theater on 519 West 23rd Street and is converting the site to a five-story club/sushi bar as a venue for the Japanese rock group "Dreams Come True."

I'm sure this business venture left a bitter taste in DCT's mouths. Then again with the appreciation of Manhattan real-estate since 2001 they probably did alright, regardless.

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:30 pm

Thanks for the info, Tachikaze. It's interesting to look at the pieces of the puzzle of why DCT failed to get a foothold in the U.S. I'm surprised that their lawyers didn't let them know one of the best ways to stir people up here is to apply for a liquor license. I wonder how things would have turned out if they had tried to do the club as a BYOB (or even dry- I've been to more than a couple sushi restaurants that didn't serve alcohol, and business was doing just fine). A dry club may sound idealistic, but it does fit the band's clean image. Missed opportunities...