Reliving the magic! DWL 2007 has arrived!

Post current news (and rumors) you've heard about Dreams Come True
sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Reliving the magic! DWL 2007 has arrived!

Post by sdankoehler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:48 pm

At 9:00 AM today the FEDEX guy dropped off my copy of the DWL 2007 DVD! I just finished watching it straight through. OH the memories!

This DVD is indeed region ALL (thanks for calming my fears Jei). There are some parts that were obviously edited. At least 1 song seems to be missing, probably more, since the cocert lasted 3.5 hours in person, and only 2 hours 45 minutes on the DVD.

The cover is amazing, with a clever fold-out program in the middle.

This is a must have for any DCT fan's library. Reliving this concert was awesome! This is truly DCT at the top of their game. In the DVD they mention DWL '11, so it seems as of right now there will be a DWL '11. I hope they allow us non-Japanese to purchase tickets again. One thing I must say though is that DWL '07 will be very hard to top!

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 am

Mine came from Amazon via FedEx today, too.

Shoulda gone I guess . . . hopefully I'll actually be again living in Tokyo in '11 so if they do that tix thing I'll know where to go for help!

Halcali is playing in April in Chicago, btw.

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:09 pm

Well, I wanted to ask you guys what is the Wonderland experience like being there in person. I can't help but feel from all their DVDs that you will be far away from the stage... I don't like like that idea myself.

Then again I have never gone to a concert in a full stadium. I meant to go to U2's concert (last year?) with my friend but we couldn't get tickets. Heck, the biggest crowd I ever shared a concert with was 4000 people. On most concerts I was so close to the stage I didn't mind the bands being so unpopular. ^^

I just finished watching the concert again and I can't believe how amazing it is. And I'm fully aware that DVDs capture a little bit of the "magic" at best. Was it as amazing as I think it must have been? :)

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by sdankoehler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:53 pm

It's hard to put in words how awesome it was in person. I was about 18 rows up in the stands just left of center stage. Slightly stage right from the band's point of view. Really, it wasn't that close, but not far either. Since Miwa and Masa continually moved about the audience during the concert, there were times when they were probably no more than 20 feet from me, especially when they came through the crowd during Love Love Love, and Nandodemo!

Some key things that the DVD couldn't possibly capture:

The souvenir area outside was incredible. I remember buying a book of musical scores from across DCT's 20 year career, and the long lines to the message boards where you could write a message for the band.

The massive size of that stage! In person it really seemed larger than life!

The HEAT! The air was so thick with humidity that you could have cut it with a knife!

The sights and sounds around the venue walking to it, and leaving from it. What an incredible neighborhood.

Let me say one thing. Seeing DCT from only 2 or 3 feet at the Fillmore in San Francisco was positively incredible. That being said, nothing compares with Wonderland. 65,000 screaming DCT fans, the band at the top of their game, and an incredible view of Shinjuku behind the stage. What could be better?

Of course, I'd still love it if they came back to San Francisco and played the Fillmore, but DWL is just too awesome not to love no matter how large the venue is.

Kudou
DCTJoy Member

Post by Kudou » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Can someone who saw the Wowow airing from back in December tell me what's different on the DVD? In the Wowow broadcast I noticed obviously most of all that absolutely no talk segments were left in. Since the DVD spans 2 DVDs I would assume it now includes those scenes? Anything else like extra camera angles?
I still haven't ordered it since I already saw the broadcast, although I really do want to see that Sapporo dome DVD as well. But since I've seen the main concert already I'm holding back for now for economical reasons... :shock:

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:50 pm

I will be able to tell as soon as I get the DVD because I wanted the TV version so many times. :P I did the same with The Love Rocks and when I got the DVD, it only had a talk in the end that was cut off the TV version. I also the part they introduce the band members in the end was cut off but that was it.

I'm positive that the concert had to be placed in 2 discs to have room for the audio tracks. There is usually 5.1 plus uncompressed stereo streams which take more than half of each disc on DCT's concerts.

However I think the extra DVD will be worth waiting for. :)

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:47 pm

What I've always enjoyed about the DWLs are being with tens of thousands of fellow DCT fanatics...and bathing in the positive energies they're generating throughout the concert. They understand the same passion you have for the band (maybe better than you do) and they're going all out for it.

Being with 30,000 in 2003 is fantastic. Being with 60,000 in 2007 was awe-inspiring. As much as I liked their West Coast show, I didn't get the same feeling.

There's also something to said about being one of the few gaijin in the crowd too... ;)
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:58 pm

I absolutely, positively LOVE the Power Plant third concert DVD (aka DCT throws down). Think a mix between Wonderland 1999 Summer and a West Coast show.

Stripped down...no dancers, no use of the set, no costumes. Just vocals, guitars, percussion and keyboards in a very, very relaxed atmosphere. Less about the spectacle...more about the music. I think I died and went to heaven when they did 'Sweet Revenge'. :) 'i think you do' was also fantastic too.

Can't recommend this disc enough ^_^
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:55 am

Jei wrote:What I've always enjoyed about the DWLs are being with tens of thousands of fellow DCT fanatics...and bathing in the positive energies they're generating throughout the concert. They understand the same passion you have for the band (maybe better than you do) and they're going all out for it.
I think you have said it all, Jei. I don't like to admit since my fellow brazilians usually don't make a pleasant crowd to be around but a good crowd makes all the difference on the enjoyment of a concert. You know, when I watched the NHK special about Wonderland and saw those 3 girls who attended ALL concerts from this tour, it kinda made sense. :)

While I'm here and I can't possibly wait to watch the extra DVD. Here goes some random thoughts about Wonderland 2007:

Best performance all around in my opinion was "Sayonara o Matteru". I'm a sucker for their ballads but they nailed the upbeat songs like never before. "Love Tide", "Love Goes On" and "Kessen wa Kinyoubi" are all close behind!

"Hoshizora ga Utsuru Umi" was so utterly absolutely awesome! I love everything about this song. Also, I think they have made the very very best ending for "Yasashii Kisu o Shite" ever. Gives me chills down my spine every time I listen to it and I rewind a dozen times before being able to go on. :) "Jet" was too good! "Mascara Matsuge" is going to remain one of my favorites...

I think I gonna end up listing every song if I go on like this. HA! But really, what stands out the most for me on the DVD is "Sayonara o Matteru". That was BRILLIANT!!!

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:58 am

Kudou wrote:Can someone who saw the Wowow airing from back in December tell me what's different on the DVD?
Side notes: I watched wowow's version enough times to remember most camera cuts by heart (this kind of thing sticks to my brain but stuff like kanji and algebra slips right off :x) but so far I only watched Ureshii Tanoshii Dai Suki then I decided to check JET because it is one of the songs I watched compulsively (along with Sayonara o Matteru). So finally, first the opening is TOTALLY different on the DVD and much better. I didn't quite get what was up with the girl on the train listening to the iPod... new and improved opening. Awesome.

DIFFERENT CAMERA ANGLES, MY FRIENDS! Thru out the theme, I already spotted several angles I haven't seen before (such as more Masa!) than the TV airing. On JET it was most obvious to me, there are angles that didn't even appear on wowow's airing at all! Wonderland 2003 aired on Fuji TV, its editing both image and sound were totally different from the DVD. Its audio was poorly mixed on the TV airing same as the video itself. However both D15 and The Love Rocks did not have different angles at all. (Again, if only I could remember algebra stuff instead of all this. :P)

On a side note, I don't have time to write to everyone private messages but I wanted to let you guys know I'm still recovering from a pneumonia I've catch. Nasty stuff really, I barely got any sleep this past week. Everyone else here at home got it from me but my dad, along with his other health issues, ended up spending a couple of days on the hospital. He was released yesterday but he still has a long way to go before recovering. My thoughts, energy and prayers are going all to my dad right now.

Cheers from a stressed and sleep deprived Nakoruru! ^^;;

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by sdankoehler » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:14 am

Kudou, trust me...BUY THE DVD...:) The angles are different from the broadcast for one thing...The sound quality is 5.1 digital so that is sweet...and one other thing, on the DVD version of JET, I can see you and me in the stands...:) It is quick though, and you may have to pause it to see that.

Another thing I'd like to mention...They cleverly edited out a mishap at the begining of the show. A drummer marching past Masa took a pretty hard fall, prompting a huge gasp from many in the audience. They did a very good job editing the gasp out of the audio, and had the camera looking another direction when it happened.

As for the third DVD...if you ever wondered what DCT unplugged might sound like, I think this is it.

Kudou
DCTJoy Member

Post by Kudou » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Woah, so we actually made it into the DVD! This is so surreal(even if it's only a split second capture :p). I definitely will have to get this DVD. Just need to save some money first. I recently invested in a Yamaha SY99 keyboard, which is the same thing DCT used from 1991 till the late 90's. The damn UPS busted the thing though, and whether I'll get my money back now is still unknown. Needless to say, I've been using too much money since Japan :P