New song?

Post current news (and rumors) you've heard about Dreams Come True
Mercury
DCTJoy Member

Post by Mercury » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:58 am

I gave it a listen.

I don't like their dance-pop ones as much as the ones with the smoother, more complex rhythms, but I'm still liking it.

I'm not usually into their new songs right away. Often it takes hearing a live performance for them to really connect. That happened with Kimi ni Shika Kikoenai - I didn't get it at first, then I saw a performance, and now it's one of my top favourites! So "GODSPEED!" may yet grow on me.

I do like the expansive bit that opens and closes it, though. It reminds me slightly of Song of Joy, a little tribal flavour going on there.

The vocoder was interesting. When I read the term "vocoder" I was expecting something autotuned like Eiffel 65, and I was wondering why Miwa would need something like that! But it's really more like a transistor radio filter, like "Video Killed the Radio Star", and also like John Lennon used to use sometimes. It works, though.

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 am

Mercury wrote:The vocoder was interesting. When I read the term "vocoder" I was expecting something autotuned like Eiffel 65, and I was wondering why Miwa would need something like that! But it's really more like a transistor radio filter, like "Video Killed the Radio Star", and also like John Lennon used to use sometimes. It works, though.
That is exactly my problem. Nowadays all I hear in pop is people using auto tune as a voice filter. And it is getting annoying to be honest. I'm used to vocoders of course being a huge Kraftwerk fan. They managed to find a clever way to over use it in their works. Anyhow, being a huge electronic music fan I love it when DCT experiements with it. I wish they'd do it more often!

I'm glad to hear someone else who needs to listen to live versions to actually get into their songs. It happens to me sometimes, too. "Jikan Ryokou" and "Pride Nante Shiranai" are two songs that I remember clearly I was blown away by their live versions but I didn't care for them at first. However recently, I'm getting into their singles like "Tsuretette Tsuretette" and "GODSPEED" without having to listen to the live versions. I sure hope they will use a live vocoder in concerts for this song. I saw Kraftwerk use it in their concert last year, it blew me away! It will be quite interesting to hear it live. ^^

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Hmmm.... Now that 'GODSPEED' has actually been released for download on iTunes, the site is in Japanese, with prices in Yen. Strange, but not unexpected...