Simple words, powerful messages

General talk about everything Dreams Come True related
zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Simple words, powerful messages

Post by zberry » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:03 pm

One of the things that really impresses me about DCT is how the lyrics use fairly simple words to communicate a powerful message.
Take a song like "Futari no Difference." The vocabulary is not advanced, simple even, but the song packs a very powerful punch because of the way those simple words are arranged and the skill with which they are delivered.
This is the mark of a great songwriter and singer. It also makes the music much more accessible because the words are something everyone can relate to.
As a Japanese learner, I also admire how clearly Miwa pronounces each syllable, making the words easier to understand. Frankly, a lot of popular singers fail to master this fundamental technique.
Just hearing the songs makes all the hours spent studying Japanese completely worth it.

bokusi
DCTJoy Chibi

DCT Lyrics

Post by bokusi » Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:47 pm

Thanks for your comments on the lyrics. I have no background in the Japanese language and so for these several years have relied on the website of Cori + Les and "Sing or Die" to have a sense of the meaning of the words. Frankly, I've been disappointed in the "Sing or Die" lyrics, thinking they were mostly just cliche in a western mode of thought. (Actually, I also thought that Miwa's voice sounds strained on that English recording. ) I've had the chance to see the translation of the song on "Delicious" which became "Eternity" in the Swan Princess soundtrack. The original was much more interesting and evocative, even in translation.

:shock:
B O K U S I