Love Overflows Album

General talk about everything Dreams Come True related
James
DCTJoy 24/7

Love Overflows Album

Post by James » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:38 pm

I'm surprised no one has posted about the new album yet... or am I the first to get it? It came on Saturday.

After hearing them all, Flowers is still my favourite and I prefer it over the original arrangement... I personally prefer the original Japanese "This is It....". Not keen on English version :?

I'll have to listen to the rest a bit more before I can say wheather I like them or not... I've always liked It's all about Love and I also prefer the English arrangement of Love Love Love... just me... from what I've heard I think they've done a good job, its not my favourite English album though. I'm really happy they've done another English album, myself.

As for the DVD (region free btw to those who dont have it yet... at least thats what it says on the disc)... Well, I'm sure it's great. I found it entertaining even though I havn't a damn clue what they are going on about. The photo shoot footage was a highlight! lol!

- James

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:48 pm

I'm ordered it from CDJapan with something that gets released next week, so I gotta wait...^_^;;;

On the good note: Love Overflows debuted at #4 this week!
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:33 am

not a real big fan of their english stuff...

tend to compare it to eg. Sheryl Crow, Dido, Alannis Morrissette, ...

part of the attraction to DCT is I know enough of the language to understand most of the lyrics, but not enough to know if the songwriting is really that good :)

zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

What DVD?

Post by zberry » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:18 am

James,
In the original message about Love Overflows, you mentioned a DVD. What DVD are you talking about? Is there a DVD included with Love Overflows? I would definitely want it if there is one.
Thanks.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:56 am

There is a CD+DVD special release of Love Overflows....
Better order it before it disappears :)
-Jay

zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Thanks for the info!

Post by zberry » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:36 am

I placed my order as soon as I read your message. I should have checked CDJapan. I had no idea that a DVD was included.

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:35 pm

If you understand Japanese, it will probably be very interesting. It's basically Miwa and Masa talking about every track on the album injected with the photo shoot footage and some ads for Wonderland 2003 DVD and Miwa's solo stuff If I remember correctly... NO menu or chapter selections.

If you can't understand Japanese, I doubt it will be that interesting and the highlight will be the photo shoot. Masa's dancing always makes me smile!!

- James

Keith
DCTJoy Chibi

Post by Keith » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:58 am

Well you convinced me. I managed to add it to my order so 4 cd's to enjoy when they arrive.

Got to say also cdjapan staff are very quick and freindly too. Had to ask to cancel an accidental order and they were really helpful.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:36 pm

Finally got it...still checking it out...initial notes:

* If any of you were wondering, the restaurant they're in on the DVD is not Sumile...

* Rather amusing seeing them disagree over who did what...
(Masa say he did it....Miwa say nothing, just continually points to herself :) )

* 'twas very interesting how solemn they got when they were speaking about Barry White...

* The version of 'Love Love Love' on the album is NOT the same version that's on the 'Love Love Love' single that came with the Wonderland 2003 DVD. The album version is 50 seconds longer...just takes the regular end of the song and stretches it out for a while....

* LOVE the colorful tiled artwork...especially on the butterflies...

* lil tip for the subtitle man on the DVD...give those letters some background! White text on a white shirt equals JACK!
(No...the DVD doesn't have English (translation) subs...just the occasional Japanese & English (descriptive) ones)
-Jay

zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

A triumph

Post by zberry » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:55 pm

Wow. Am I ever glad I got this Limited Edition CD/DVD combo.
Some comments on the CD.
Love the jazzy sophisticated arrangement on This it it, You're the One, I Knew It. The infectious melody is still there, but it also shows their growth as musicians. The lyrics work great, IMO.
It's All About Love sounds really good. I had heard the song a few times, (and saw it live at the Fillmore) but hadn't listened closely. Great bass riffs by Masa.
Chrysalis/Butterfly: What a beautiful song. Their comments on the DVD really add a lot of nice background to the song, with Masa talking about that plastic bag flying around.
Before Now: Awesome tune. If you come across anyone who says DCT aren't great songwriters, throw this song in their face.

DVD
Great, great, great. Really shows how committed DCT are to the music and exploring new horizons. They talk about how much English-language soul and pop music meant to them, and how they wanted to give something back. We are so lucky. I mean, what more could you possibly want from a musical artist: great music, commitment, passion, and wanting to give something back to the music and the fans.
The interviewer obviously is a pro, not some ditz, and her questions brought out some good responses.
I really enjoyed them reminescing about the first recording of Ureshii, Tanoshii, Daisuki in 1989, and how nervous Miwa was, and all the potatoes that they were served during mealtimes, and how the literal translation of the title just didn't work.
Also enjoyed the comments on Chrysalis or Butterfly, on how they felt kind of like fish out of water in NYC, and like that plastic bag floating in the sky.
Finally, have to love those photo sessions for the cover, with Miwa looking absolutely incredible. That photographer was smart to go for the "natural" look. Why mess with a good thing?
Masa does a lot of the talking, which may be good, because Miwa's rapid fire Japanese is hard to follow.
Thank you DCT!

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:41 pm

Zberry... I agree.... after listening to it more and more 'Chrysalis or Butterfly' is fantastic and has become my favourite on the album. I love it, especially that bass line - I really like the one note masa does as 'slap'. Just enough. Can't help noting Masa was the only composer on that track.... the mans a genious - I've thought that about him for a long time though. Miwa's vocals/lyrics are great on that aswell, they make a great songwriting duo.

- James