Love overflows - my 2 cents

General talk about everything Dreams Come True related
k
DCTJoy Chibi

Love overflows - my 2 cents

Post by k » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:46 am

As this seems like the second attempt at a US invasion (the first one being SOD) I was wondering what you all thought of this second english offering. I feel like some of the comments I made long time ago were taken into consideration because it seems like they tried to write songs from scratch with english lyrics in mind (at least half the album) and even went as far as to enlist the services of english songwriters.

I think the new english songs are pretty good. Still pretty eclectic by American pop standards. The lyrics sound much more natural when the melodies written are better phrased for the english language. They sound to me like Miwa singing compositions written by some other artist. I dont care too much for the older japanese songs with new english lyrics. I still prefer to hear their songs in Japanese not understanding a single word, instead of a song that I understand but without the total DCT feel.

I wish them luck on their next US release should it come. I think they have an uphill battle, with the American pop music scene being as sad as it is. I hope they make it... The world will be a better place...

Just my 2 cents...

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:02 am

Miwa's about 20 years too old to break into the US market, alas.

Maybe Hikaru Utada has got a better chance.

Or maybe Miwa could enter "American Idol"...

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:34 am

I was thinking with this third English album, they finally have enough really good songs (i.e. songs where the English doesn't sound rushed or akward) to make one really good English album...
(2 to 3 songs from each album....Winter Song, Beautiful Boy, Song of Joy Tony Moran Remix, etc....)

I also wonder how many of the songs that don't sit well with me, lyricaly, would be no problem to someone who hasn't heard the original before...
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:38 am

She'd have to re-do the vocals for Winter Song, they were sung in 1992 or so, with her rather british intonation.

Winter Song was my first full exposure to DCT, in 1993, when the video played in theatres. Didn't do much for me then, though I did like it when they played Winter Song as the closing theme for the November DORIRA segment last year, since I had requested it in their feedback.

Very natsukashii tune, these days...

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:39 pm

As this seems like the second attempt at a US invasion (the first one being SOD)
It's the third isn't it? Dont forget "The Monster Universal Mix". And is that CD available in the USA?

hmmm, such a shame, i think they should break into it, and Europe too. If most pop music wasn't so manufactured and shit they'd have a chance. I still think Miwa's pretty damn cute!! :) I dont care how old she is and i'd rather have her coming out of the cd player than britney spears!! :lol:

I dont care too much for the older japanese songs with new english lyrics. I still prefer to hear their songs in Japanese not understanding a single word, instead of a song that I understand but without the total DCT feel.
I know what you mean, I prefer the original "Ureshi Tanoshi Daisuki" to "This is it", etc. on the album. Having said that, "Flowers" is much better. Anyway, I'll stop there because I'll end up saying what I have done here...
http://forums.dctjoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=202

- james

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:08 pm

It's the third isn't it? Dont forget "The Monster Universal Mix". And is that CD available in the USA?
They never released that here in the states. They were going to, but then they had a parting of the ways with Virgin...so it's the second...

We'll see...If Utada breaks big, anything could happen.... :)
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by sdankoehler » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:31 pm

As for Miwa being too old, how many famous American singers are older than her? Quite a few. Besides, I don't think she looks very old, and I bet she could fool people about her age.

Our pop scene is rather crazy. I think it has become less music and more show. I certainly would not group them in with modern American pop. They are nothing like Britney Spears and the like...and in my opinion that is a good thing. :) I work at a concert venue, and many of the groups I see appear to have lost their musical sense in favor of a more flashy visual show. I think perhaps DCT could use the pure quality of their music to their advantage. People who think modern pop has "sold out" may find them a bit refreshing.

I'm not sure if they will release Love Overflows here (in the US) or not. The fact that they call the Japanese release "Asian Edition" would seem to suggest they would, but it's hard to tell. Also, if I'm not mistaken they said they'd be back at all their west coast shows. Not just the one in San Francisco where everyone begged them to say that.

I sure hope they release their CD here and have another tour. That would be awesome!

k
DCTJoy Chibi

I think we are all in agreement here...

Post by k » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:45 am

It seems we all think the same way, since we obviously have the same impeccable taste in music. we all view the pop music (American or Japanese) in the same light. Many of you feel DCT's chances depend on whether Miwa's image is accepted. I never thought of it that way, but I guess that really is a sad statement on American pop culture. I guess if musical quality was trully appreciated jazz music would be considered mainstream.

I was a big fan of Basia in the nineties. I somtimes feel DCT is comparable to the Basia/Danny White duo. But I guess she had 3 albums of fame ( or semi-fame ) and faded away... It's good to see quality music attain success once in a while. I hope and prey that DCT will be as fortunate.