What should I get next ?

General talk about everything Dreams Come True related
dugthebug
DCTJoy Salad

What should I get next ?

Post by dugthebug » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:46 pm

Hi all,

As I am new to DCT I am wondering what I should get next. All I have at the moment is Sing Or Die. Can anyone reccomend an album to get next?

Listening to samples on DCTJoy I quite like Love Goes On (from what I have heard).

Thanks,

Mike.

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:50 pm

Your quick to forget my second copy of the swinging star i gave you!

dugthebug
DCTJoy Salad

Post by dugthebug » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:53 pm

LOL, yes James that is true! It's right here with me now :D

Infact I think I'll put it on ! :idea:

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:20 pm

Well...which of your two current albums did you like better and why? :)
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

dugthebug
DCTJoy Salad

Post by dugthebug » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:17 am

Hi Jei,

Well definitly Sing Or Die, sorry but I do not like The Swinging Star, I just hate that kind of music, I think I have listened to it in full just twice. Sing Or Die gets alot more play and even my sister now attempts to sing along :roll:

Listening to samples on the site though I liked the sound of Love Goes On...but james doesn't have it !! :twisted: ....well yet, I may have to fork out for myself, I am told he has a few goodies waiting for me at the mo, but don't worry he'll get some agnetha in return :D :D

Mike.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:37 am

if you've got a lot of money, I'd go for the Children of the Sun concert video. It's got the same songs as Sing or Die, but the performance is very impressive.

The 1995 Wonderland concert has the big songs from The Swinging Star, kessen-wa kinyoubi is the concert opener (and one of their bigger hits), two of the slower/lamer songs are in a medley (so it's not so bad), and the two better songs from the album (megane koshi no sora and ano-natsu no hanabi) are in *excellent*, first-rate productions that really bring life to the songs (if you can understand the words...). The WL '95 video also features a lot of hits from 1993 to 1996, so it fills in nicely the space between The Swinging Star and SoD.

The first 3 albums before The Swinging Star aren't really that great. 1996's Love Unlimited is probably their best with Sing Or Die running a very close #2.

Their video collection "v1" is OK, since it has Snow Dance and asa-ga mata kuru, two very good songs. Sou-da yo, itsu-no-ma-ni, crystal vine, kanon are solid efforts too, but not top-drawer DCT.

I think the Dreamage -- Love ballad collection is every bit as good as The Soul best/of, especially the 2nd disc. Jei agrees according to his web page:

http://dctjoy.com/dreamscometrue/discog ... eamage.php

and the songs on the 2nd disc he doesn't pick I think are pretty good to listen to, especially late at night.

But my first dct purchase was the '95 Wonderland, and I think it's the best.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:41 pm

Many people swear by 'Love Goes On'...probably contains the more of their so-called classics than any other album, including the two songs DCT fans voted their #1 & #2 all time (last year), 'Ureshii! Tanoshii! Daisuki!' & 'Mirai Yosouzu II'...can't go wrong with that album...:)

Tachikaze and I are flipped on faves ^^...'Sing or Die' & 'Love Unlimited' are probably my least fave albums...granted there's some *great* songs on both albums, but as complete albums, I don't think either of them can compare...(Note: Both are still quite good and worth buying ^^)

Personal recommendations:
'Magic', 'Wonder 3' & 'Delicious'...in that order :)
Two perfect albums and one almost perfect, but probably their most impressive album, production wise...
(Hmm...actually...since you're an ABBA man, put Wonder 3 first...^^)

And while Dreamage is quite good, I still would recommend 'The Soul' over it...there's more of balance between ballads & fast tracks...

For you...get 'Wonder 3' :)
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:25 am

I agree as for albums, Love Goes On to Magic are better listening and more even. It seems that the later the album, the more uneven it is. MGO really only has Snow Dance on it, and The Monster mainly has Asa-ga mata kuru as a centerpiece.

I like Love Unlimited for 7-7 hare, LLL, Romance, Shiawase-na-karada, Uchi-he kaero, Arashi-ga kuru, Chikai.

But it's true that the 1990 Wonder3 has a more unique style overall than Love Unlimited, since there is no real strong jazz influence in their earlier work.

When I was making mp3's from DCT's catalog in 1999, I kept the following:

1989: DCT (0)
1989: Love Goes On (3)
1990: Wonder 3 (7)
1991: Million Kisses (6)
1992: The Swinging Star (9)
1993: Magic (9)
1994: Delicious (7)
1996: Love Unlimited (9)
1997: Sing Or Die (6)

Of my top 20+ songs:

1989: DCT (0)
1989: Love Goes On (2)
1990: Wonder 3 (1)
1991: Million Kisses (1)
1992: The Swinging Star (3)
1993: Magic (4)
1994: Delicious (2)
1996: Love Unlimited (5)
1997: Sing Or Die (2)
1999: The Monster (1)
2001: MGO (1)

it's a tough fight between Magic and Love Unlimited... luckily with my ipod I won't have to choose!

(when I was ripping these in 1999 I did it at 320kbit, since I knew *someday* I'd want pretty high definition audio)

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:59 am

It's very hard for me to choose a favourite album, theres songs on them all I like (even the Dreams Come True debut!)

But if I was forced... :roll: Love Unlimited wouldn't be among them. Having said that I love Sweet Revenge. I listen to The Swinging Star and Wonder 3 a hell of a lot, so I think they push infront for my all time favourite DCT Albums... oh, and I can't forget Sing Or Die - I love it. I'm glad they botherd with English. I love "the Monster - UM" aswell.... see how hard this gets!??? "Another Day without you" is very close to being my favourite DCT song [along with its Japanese counterpart] - and I love the video for it.

Oh god, just dont ask me.

And as for "Mirai Yosouzu II", I fell in love with that track after hearing it on DWL 2003. I was chuffed to have the band score aswell.... not so chuffed to see the bloody key its written in, mind!

Mike I have a spare copy of "Magic" for you and the "Sou da yo" single come to think of it.

- James

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:21 am

hmm what we could do is collectively buy their catalog, rip the mp3's or mp4's, hold a singles draft, then burn the CDRs of everyone's draft choices (every participant gets 1 CDR, of their own draft choices).

Not sure what we would do (legally) with the original CDs tho... I guess safe in storage as backups would be legal...

life was so much more fun when I went to the cd rental shop in late 1999 and walked out with DCT's entire catalog (up to SoD) for ~$30... oooh I felt like I had just robbed the bank (and morally, I probably did...).

zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by zberry » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:28 am

Personally, I constantly play their DVDs on my computer at work, basically listening to them as a CD. It has a DVD player built in, but I'm mostly just listening to them. So in a two-for-one type of deal, I would recommend ordering a DVD next. 2003 Wonderland or 99 Winter are the best. It's a little more, but worth it, IMO.
Those DVDs show that DCT is an awesome live act. You basically get two-CDs worth of totally awesome live material!
I would also put in a recommendation for Seventh of July Sunny Day. That happened to be the first DCT album I bought (strictly on a whim!) and it remains one of my favorites. I like the mixture of the instrumentals among the songs. And a great selection of songs.
Whatever you get, you're gonna love it. That's the bottom line. Whatever you spend is going to work out to a piddling sum compared to the hours and hours of enjoyment you'll get.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:08 pm

yeah, I got my MGO fix by just ripping Crystal Vine from the V1 DVD. Not sure it's legal, but until DCT is on the ITMS it's good enough for me. I already have the Snowdance as a single, the other track I like from MGO (kanon and itsu-no-ma-ni are OK, but not worth keeping really).

I checked out amazon.co.jp yesterday, and it *is* possible to buy DCT from them and ship overseas. Under $400 for their entire catalog (not counting the 3 two-disc best ofs, but including 7/7 Hare, and including the $50 shipping (not too bad for 13 CDs). 3-4 day Air is only Y1000 more than the 4-6 week shipping rate.

Here's amazon's prices:

Dreams Come True Y 2,774
LOVE GOES ON???Y 2,582
WONDER3 Y 2,582
MILLION KISSES Y 2,582
The Swinging Star Y 2,582
magic Y 2,582
DELICIOUS Y 2,582
7/7 Hare Y 2,582
LOVE UNLIMITED Y 2,582
monkey girl odyssey Y 2,742
SING OR DIE 2002:monkey girl odyssey tour special edition Y 2,767
the Monster 2002:monkey girl odyssey tour special edition Y 2,767
LOVE OVERFLOWS-ASIAN EDITION Y 2,800

dugthebug
DCTJoy Salad

Post by dugthebug » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. Thanks to James I now have Magic on CD too which I prefer much more than "The Swinging Star" my favourite track is "a little waltz" infact it's on now. I still have "Sing Or Die" down as my favourite, probably because it's in English :roll:

I guess I will have to loosen the purse strings to get something else, I think I may The Soul: Dreams Come True Greatest Hits. it seems interesting :D

jentutu
DCTJoy Member

Post by jentutu » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:59 pm

i think you can try Miwa's SOLO album,both Beauty and Harmony 1 & 2 are great,you will be amazed!!

tu