My experience at the Fillmore.

Read up on the latest Dreams Come True Tour news!
sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

My experience at the Fillmore.

Post by sdankoehler » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:10 am

I've got to be the happiest man alive right now. Just got home from the DCT show at the Fillmore in San Francisco. I was one of the first in line, so I was up front...just like I wanted...Thanks for the advice jei...2.5 hours early was perfect!

The set, minus one of the opening acts, was identical to that of the Los Angeles show. Very VERY energetic. Very upbeat.

DCT came out right on time at 9:00 PM. At first their backing band "The Twins and Other" as they were called, came onto the stage. Then Masa ran out on stage on a total adrenaline rush. He was like an athelete pumped up for a big game. The biggest shock of all, as he ran out he gave ME a high five! I guess it was because I was the only geijin in the front row. Then he just started yelling out YEAH! SAN FRANCISCO!!! Then Miwa came out, to the delight of us all, and said "HI EVERYONE! ARE YOU READY?!" "Tonight you are all my San Francisco babies!" That got a BIG cheer from the audience. They started with Snow Dance and the crowd pushed it's way closer...and between songs they were talking quite a bit to the crowd. Usually Miwa in Japanese, and Masa in english.

I am a little clostrophobic, and add my yelling to that, I almost passed out from lack of blood circulation during the initial rush of the stage, in which I was getting madly pushed against, and the fact that I WAS 3 FEET FROM DCT made me so excited!...and Masa noticed it (how embarassing!). He said "I'm worried about this guy. I think he's losing his mind." Well, not my mind, just my consiousness for a few seconds. Then he asked me if I was ok. I said yes, I'm ok. He then asked "are you sure?" I said I was ok again, and he just smiled the biggest smile I've ever seen. I don't think he expected a geijin guy like me to be such a big fan.

During the first encore, Miwa grabbed my hand as she walked by me. I thought maybe she would just brush against it, but she held on the the tips of my fingers for a good 2 seconds!

At the end of the show after they bowed, Masa came up and started giving everyone high fives again...but when he got to me he shook my hand and said thank you. I was utterly shocked! Why me? Who am I? He shook a few other hands too, but I never heard him say that to anyone else...I guess once again, it was because I was the geijin in the crowd. I'll never forget what Miwa said as she walked off stage. "I love you my San Francisco babies!"

This has truly been a night I will remember for the rest of my life, because my dreams really did come true...and they sure lived up to their hard-earned reputation. They said they'd be back soon. I hope they meant it.

Dan
sdankoehler@yahoo.com

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 pm

gaijin, not geijin (the "geijin" were to your right).
BIG difference.
Good to see you survived your Miwa experience :)

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

wassup

Post by sdankoehler » Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:57 am

Hi there. Were you there? Are you that english teacher that was next to me? I see you just joined, and you seem to know about the people to my right. :)

Dan

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

oops

Post by sdankoehler » Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:59 am

Appologies to anyone who may have been offended by my misspelling of the word "gaijin." I guess I said something that meant something else. Is what I said even a word?

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:18 pm

Hey don't worry. Yes I was the other gaijin close to you. GEI, which is pronounced GAY, can mean exactly that in Japanese. While "GEIJIN" isn't really a word, it certainly is lot different than "GAIJIN". Complicating matters is the Japanese GEI-NOU-JIN, literally meaning 'artist', and commonly used to mean 'entertainer/star'.

And I am a retired ex-teacher, but might go back next year as a 3rd career.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Re: My experience at the Fillmore.

Post by Jei » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:01 am

sdankoehler wrote:I am a little clostrophobic, and add my yelling to that, I almost passed out from lack of blood circulation during the initial rush of the stage, in which I was getting madly pushed against, and the fact that I WAS 3 FEET FROM DCT made me so excited!...and Masa noticed it (how embarassing!). He said "I'm worried about this guy. I think he's losing his mind."
*laugh* Seems like you made quite an impression on more than just the band. You even got mentioned in another Fillmore review :)
sdankoehler wrote: At the end of the show after they bowed, Masa came up and started giving everyone high fives again...but when he got to me he shook my hand and said thank you. I was utterly shocked! Why me? Who am I?
Lose your mind for DCT and you get special attention ^_-

It's been great reading all reactions from you all as well as the other crowds. It certainly seems like the Vegas crowd was the official dud of the west coast tour. :x

One of Miwa's Vegas Babies, this was....
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/