Fave concert moments?

Talk with your fellow DCTJoy members about anything you want!
Yom
DCTJoy Newbie

Fave concert moments?

Post by Yom » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:59 pm

Whats everyones favourite concert moments? I am yet to go to one :( but have them all on dvd and vhs :)

Some of mine are....

1) Miwa being driven around in a bright red car (lotus i believe) during the WL 1999 concert singing Tokyo Atlus.

2) Miwa being completly exhausted at the end of WL 1995 and crying her eyes out.

3) The press conference from WL 1999 with masa as "Andrew" lmao

4) The DDR moment from WL 1999

5) The fan getting to sit next to Miwa in WL 1999 (natsu no yume)

6) The Bicycle scene from WL 1995

and many more :)

Whats yours?

Yom
....and I thought I was the only one.......

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:23 am

lol, yes the FTP news confrence skit was great! Couldn't understand a word, but I still laughed.

Masa's fantastic dancing and drum imitations on DWL 2003.

Ohtani Koh on his keyboard solo's on DWL 2003 and 1999 winter.

Masa's long note on the end of Kelo Kelo on Children of the Sun.

Miwa and Masa singing "Sweet Dream" on DWL 1999, because thats one of the first DCT songs I heard and remains a big favourite.

The whole final segment of DWL 2003 - Such enery from Miwa, the upsetting speech, the fireworks...

I love DCT live... so, there's proably more... cant think of any more right now.

.. how could i forget snow dance on DWL 1999 Winter... great song, love Koh's piano solo over the top toward the end.... another favourite.

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by sdankoehler » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:06 am

There are many wonderful moments on the videos, but those honestly pale in comparison to seeing them live. I strongly suggest seeing them if it's ever possible. Being in the front row in San Francisco for the Monkey Girl Odessey West Coast Mix is still the best concert experience of my life, and working at an arena, I see a lot of concerts.

I'm sure Tachikaze would agree that was one INCREDIBLE concert. He was there too.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:45 am

well, I think being frontrow for the Sing Or Die concert would have been just as good if not better than the westcoast tour, since it was lot longer and had all the real backing Japanese players like Koh. I don't particularly like the overly stagey stuff in WL, but I could tolerate it, and they do tend to go over the top so I almost think watching the WL's on DVD in a hometheater is just about as good as going in person, since there's so much happening so far away you're basically watching it on screen when you're in person too.

As for videos, I only have WL '95, SoD, and one of the WL '99 videos right now, so among them:

WL '95:

1) The entry, seeing them all emotional and jazzed up

2) Masu plucking his bass dramatically at the end of Kanashii Kiss at sunset, and the beautiful cloudy sunset that was seemingly part of the song. Can't get that inside an arena.

3) The dancers didn't do much for me but Sae Ebisawa's ballet moves during Suki were very artful.

4) The 'sexy' miwa set was fun to watch.

5) The fireworks pause in Ano Natsu no Hanabi of course.

Children of the Sun '98:

1) The Yorokobi no uta intro singing was of course impressive

2) Miwa seemed in a groove for the concert, Marry Me? and my favorite song ai-suru kokoro were pretty moving (though of course seeing the latter live (it was her last song of the set) was a better moment :)

3) Miwa and Rin really belted out the tampopo song. Very enjoyable to watch.

I can't really recall much interesting stuff in the DWL '99 video, but maybe the Snowdance number was interesting.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:16 am

A few from my live experiences:

mgo west coast tour (Las Vegas)
Someone throws a Spiderman doll up on stage...Miwa takes an interest in it and deposits the webslinger in her top :)

mgo west coast tour (LV)
Watching M&M take delight in the balcony waving their arms to-n-fro during 'Love Love Love'

mgo west coast tour (LV)
Take your pick of the numerous Masa 'translations'...very funny :)

Wonderland 2003, Shiga 1st Day
Sneaking a peak from an advantageous angle, I watch the fans, who held up DWL flags at the beginning of the show, get instructions and practice behind the stage...

Wonderland 2003, Shiga 1st Day
Seeing (and feeling) the true excitement of the fans for myself as M & M made their way through the crowd for the first time...

Wonderland 2003, Shiga 2nd Day
The DWL staff pull out the rain gear as it starts to pour down...neither the band nor M&M miss a beat...keep on performing with gusto ^^

One of the giant flames shoots off with a lot more unexpected force, scaring the hell out of those of us on the hill (You could actually feel the heat on your face) @_@

Hearing the tender DWL musicbox music play at the end...and not wanting to leave...^^
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:46 pm

tachikaze wrote:well, I think being frontrow for the Sing Or Die concert would have been just as good if not better than the westcoast tour, since it was lot longer and had all the real backing Japanese players like Koh.
In the unlikely event of me ever seeing DCT live, I must admit that I'd be rather disappointed if the original backing band weren't there. Particulary Koh on Keyboards... maybe it's because I play piano myself, but the guy never fails to amaze me on every concert. Oh, and sorry, no electone.... yaSya was bloody amazing to be quite honest, but I'd rather Dynamites UK. I wonder why the electone for DWL 2003???

- James

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:44 pm

James wrote: Oh, and sorry, no electone.... yaSya was bloody amazing to be quite honest, but I'd rather Dynamites UK. I wonder why the electone for DWL 2003???
I agree...bring back the horns!
It was probably about the money, since other things were stripped back...only have to pay one person for the electone, instead of 3-6 for the horns...
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:13 am

Shame... it just doesn't sound the same. It looses half of its feeling. I think it's better when they replace what was synth brass in the original ("Sayonara o Matteru" comes to mind from DWL 99) with the real brass. I like the replaced Synth-brass chords throughout with Koh's piano aswell. I was expecting them to do it on keys with synth brass sounds!! I dont think any keyboard has effectively created a good brass sound. I know theres better keyboards out there than the electone.

- James

zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by zberry » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:01 am

Great topic! Because DCT is one of the great live acts of all time. Here are mine, in no particular order (except for number one).
1. Live at the Fillmore, MGO Odessey West Coast. Thought I had died and gone to heaven.
2. Miwa riding in the red car in DWL 99 Winter.
3. The medley that starts after Asa ga Mata Kura in DWL 99. (Egao no Yukue, etc)
4. Tampopo from DWL 2003. High-energy, great camera work.
5. Meganegoshi no Sora from DWL 95. I love Miwa singing against the backdrop of the setting sun over the water.
6. Jikan Ryokou from DWL 99 Summer. Miwa, solo on the piano. Enough said.
7. Ureshii Tanoshii Daisuki from DWL 99 Winter. Miwa, overcome by emotion, lying on the stage, makes a remarkable comeback to sing the second verse perfectly.
8. Intro and Yorokoubi no Uta from Sing or Die.
9. Shigatsu no Ame, Futari no Difference from DWL 99 Summer. The bridge between songs is incredible. Miwa's vocals and lyrics cut like a knife.
10. Namida no Mangekyo from DWL 2003. Miwa and David T. Walker walking hand in hand to the small stage. Awesome guitar solo by David T. followed by awesome performance by Miwa.

Honorable mention:
Sweet, Sweet, Sweet from DWL 99 Winter. Miwa the diva emerges on a riser on stage, and then shows us what singing is all about.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:44 am

my general reaction to the Filmore show, too, since I just accidentally ended up in the very front -- I had just bought the tickets online two days prior. I sorta figured their was no reserved seating in the club, and saw my chance...

I just rewatched WL99-Winter tonight, still think the SoD video and WL95 are 100x better. I'd take the WL95 entry or even the RingRingRing bikes over the car (though I guess is it something of an achievement to pull that off), and the SoD songs in Children of the Sun are much better done their than WL99 Winter. Just about every element is similarly better in the previous version -- better stage in 95, marginally less annoying dancers, better medleys, better f-t-p segment, better 'sexy miwa' productions, and a better encore...

The SoD concert has a 3-4 song block that is just captivating, while the smiling dancers in WL99 jumping around are so distracting (except Aya, she's cute enough). I think I should get the WL-Summer DVD since maybe there's no dancers in that, and I would like to see Miwa's piano playing (in an interview Miwa said one regret she had was not being able to take piano as a kid).

KogeJoe
DCTJoy Salad

Fillmore

Post by KogeJoe » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:22 am

I was at the Fillmore concert in SF. It's the one and only DCT concert I've ever been to.

I forget which song it was, but Miwa comes so close to the audience and reaches out her hand to some other fans who reach back and almost touch her.

I remember being so close to Miwa and almost touching her hand... I think it was my most favorite part of the concert. I think it's the closest I'll ever come to Miwa... :-/ Hope to meet her and Masa in person someday.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:38 pm

cue Dan with his version of what happened, he had a slightly better view...

I got to (along with Dan) high-5 Masa at the start of the set, which was more than good enough for me. Though of course at times I am insanely jealous of what Dan got (and no he wasn't "hyperventilating" in the midst of it...)

In '98 they had a record signing in SF -- maybe they'll do it again. Wish now I woulda grabbed their setlist that was on taped on the stage -- it was just within reach...

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by sdankoehler » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:38 pm

Yeah, that was the highlight of my concert-going life so far... :) I actually did touch Miwa! :D I was right in front. Maybe I wasn't "hyperventilating," but I was in shock...internally at least.

After the show I was standing on the sidewalk as Miwa and Masa were going to their car. Masa came up to me and shook my hand and said "thank you" again. That was cool...Miwa also waived...What a night!

Celes
DCTJoy Salad

Post by Celes » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:29 pm

Masu plucking his bass dramatically at the end of Kanashii Kiss at sunset, and the beautiful cloudy sunset that was seemingly part of the song. Can't get that inside an arena.
That's my favourite moment of WL '95 :)
Jikan Ryokou from DWL 99 Summer. Miwa, solo on the piano
and that's my favourite moment of WL '99 summer.

That, and also when the fan went on stage. That was amazing.
Also, Mirai yosouzu II from that same concert.