DCT and Sergio Mendes

Post current news (and rumors) you've heard about Dreams Come True
nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

DCT and Sergio Mendes

Post by nogizaka » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Dreams Come True will be featured on one of the tracks of Sergio Mendes' upcoming album 'Encanto' (release date: 2/27/08... hmm...).

The track 'Lugar Comum' will have a Japanese translation of the original lyrics plus new Japanese lyrics written (and I suppose sung) by Miwa.

More information about the album (no sample yet) is available at DCT garden.

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:30 pm

I just saw it on DCT Garden. I was hoping that Sergio's albums were released locally here but I can only find imports on online CD stores. Just like Lisa Ono, he is one of the brazilian musicians that is absolutely unknown here in Brazil. I will pick up a copy of it if I come across a local release.

If only Miwa got to sing a whole song in Portuguese, that would be way too cool. I quite liked what I heard on Ola Vitoria. :) I think she sang this song, according with what I read on Masa's blog.

FYI "Lugar Comum" means "Common Place".

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:35 am

I found a sample!

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/CCD-30278/

Unfortunately, it's a male lead vocal (not Masa) with a female backing vocal that does not sound like Miwa. I wonder what her part sounds like?

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:39 pm

Definitely on this part, the female(s?) that were singing on the background were brazilian. Or maybe Miwa is already speaking Portuguese better than me. ;) But what's up with the male singing in Spanish??? That was totally out of place.
glacial from Jpopmusic.com wrote:Dreams Come True vocalist Yoshida Miwa (42) represents Japan on the latest album from the legendary Brazilian musician Sergio Mendes (66). "Morning in Rio" is a follow up to 2006's "Timeless", a collaboration with various neo-soul and alternative hip hop guest artists, in particular will.i.am of The Black Eyed Peas. The new album is described as a celebration of 50 years since the birth of Bosa Nova. It features 13 guest artists from five countries, with Yoshida providing Japanese vocals for the track "Lugar Comum". The track will be released as a single worldwide except for North America. The album goes on sale worldwide in April, but has an advance release in Japan February 27. DCT recently released the single "Mata ne", the theme tune for the latest "One Piece" anime feature. It's good to see one of J-pop's finest artists fully back at work again following the death of her husband last October.

News Link: Japan Zone

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:23 pm

Interesting that the Japanese release is titled 'Morning in Rio' and not 'Encanto'.

Doubly unfortunate that 'Lugar Comum' will be released worldwide as a single except in the U.S. Are we ever gonna catch up?

The breaks...

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:24 pm

DCTgarden announces the availability of a ringtone for 'Lugar Comum'. I hope that it's a different part of the song than the sample we heard...

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:39 pm

Whooo! The U.S. release date of 'Encanto' was just moved back to June 10!!! What's up with that? No wonder my record store had no idea what I was talking about!

In Japan, HMV still has the release of 'Morning in Rio' as 2/28, while Amazon.jp now has it on 3/2. If that's so, maybe it will pop up on Oricon.

Spaceman
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by Spaceman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:53 pm

CDJapan has the release date for 'Morning in Rio' as 2/27
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UCCO-9160

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:23 pm

nogizaka wrote: In Japan, HMV still has the release of 'Morning in Rio' as 2/28, while Amazon.jp now has it on 3/2. If that's so, maybe it will pop up on Oricon.
Yup...#16 album on it's first day ^^
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:05 am

Up to #14 ^^
-Jay

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Got the album! What you heard in that sample must have been the original version of the song. In the Japanese release, the male voice is replaced with Miwa's voice (the lead!).

She sings in Japanese, while the background sings in Portuguese. Perhaps they are singing the same thing, but in different languages?

Later in the song Miwa sings her additional lyrics. Masa is listed as a background vocal. I'll put up a sample of it when I create it's page. It's actually very enjoyable...her voice so fits this genre of music. ^^

BTW, was #20 album for the week.
-Jay

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:55 pm

I got my copy of the album earlier this week, and I'm enjoying it!

The hip-hop stuff is okay, but the album really takes off with the third track. I first heard 'Waters of March' when I was in undergrad- a rather sedate version by Art Garfunkel (a friend of mine was stuck on his 'Breakaway' album, but didn't care for this song). Now I finally know what he was singing! This version is much more lively: I think I'm getting into it more because it's the right time of year to hear about Spring, as time moves toward DCT's birthday (and mine).

Tracks five, six, and seven are the divas- we get treated to Natalie Cole, Miwa, and Lani Hall. I'd forgotten how good Natalie sounds- 'Somewhere in the Hills' is perfect for her. 'Lugar Comum' is now 'Dori' (enough said, except that they could have let Masa do the bass parts- I think he could handle it). Interestingly, in 'Dreamer' Lani tells us about her "dreams that will never come true" (with Herb Alpert on trumpet- WOW!) She still sounds beautiful.

The Portuguese language tracks (four, eight, nine, ten, and eleven) sound really cool to me, even though I don't know the meanings- I feel that I'm getting the full force of the writers and performers with no loss in translation. Now I want to hunt down the originals.

Track twelve is another hip-hop version, and Sergio and Will.I.Am appear to be good buddies!

The bonus tracks are a lot of fun: a French-language version of 'Waters of March' and a version of 'E Vamos La' with a Spanish lead vocal (I love the way Juanes sings around the chorus).

Sergio, by the way, is in good voice, and his keys sound great- bright notes and sad minor chords, and his teeth... I'm a dentist, so I won't say anything here (but you may p.m. me if you must).

I'm hoping that the U.S. release was delayed because something wonderful will be added by that time; in that case, I'll buy it too!

lovedct
DCTJoy Chibi

"Lugar Comum" (sample)

Post by lovedct » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:33 am

I have the sample of "Lugar Comum." Part of the song was sung by miwa.
If you all want this sample, please give me your email address.

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:19 pm

If anyone wants the track, I've uploaded it to JPS.

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:14 am

Thanks to Nogizaka I was able to hear the song. Miwa sings the lines that are sung in Portuguese in Japanese in VERY well made translations, I might add. Her voice really suits this song, I really think she should try to sing in Portuguese sometime. :)