Dreams Come True's 30th Anniversary!

Post current news (and rumors) you've heard about Dreams Come True
Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Dreams Come True's 30th Anniversary!

Post by Jei » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:37 pm

Figured it needed it's own topic... :)

30 years ago today, Dreams Come True released it's first single, "Anata ni aitakute"...congrats to DCT for 30 years years of great music, great times & great joy!

Looks like they put up a 30th anniversary site too :)
https://dreamscometrue.com/the30th/

-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

Spaceman
DCTJoy Senior Member

Re: Dreams Come True's 30th Anniversary!

Post by Spaceman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:17 am

Yeah, Happy Birthday DCTTTTTTTT :D

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:34 pm

A "Your DCT Experience (30th anniversary edition)" short questionnaire? :)

1) What was your first DCT experience?
2) What's your fave DCT song?
3) What's your fave DCT album?
4) What your fave DCT video?
5) If you've seen DCT in concert, give us your fave moment
-Jay

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:02 pm

In either mid/late '92/early '93, I asked a Japanese pen pal to send me a mixtape of what was popular in Japan at the time.
The first three songs on her mixtape were songs from "Swinging Star". The very first song I heard was "Kessen wa kin'youbi". The 70s vibe from "Kessen" was very much my speed and Miwa's voice was sensational...knew I'd found a new fave band :)

"Sankyu"...DCT & David T. at their best :)

Even to this day, I go back and forth between "Magic" and "Wonder 3"...both perfect albums :)

Split between "Snow Dance" & "Asa ga mata kuru". Love the one-shot feel of "Snow Dance" and the inventiveness & vibrance of "Asa ga mata kuru"

Wonderland 2011 (Tokyo)...watching Miwa & Masa walk down the stadium steps from a few feet away after they had just lit the Olympic flame... :)
-Jay

newrynyuk
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by newrynyuk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Early January 2001. During a short break in Tokyo whilst visiting family in Hong Kong over Christmas and New Year. I'm browsing in Tower Records, Shinjuku Tokyo when Ureshii! Tanoshii! Daisuki! is played in store. Fascinated by this track, I ask a clerk what record is this. He hands me a copy of The Soul: Dreams Come True Greatest Hits. That's how it started.

It's still Ureshii! Tanoshii! Daisuki! Amazing to think it was never release as a single. The piano-only single version of Suki is a close second.

Monkey Girl Odyssey, featuring a slew of under appreciated gems like Omoide No Kamisama and Suki Suki Suu as well as great singles like Snow Dance and Kanon

Asa ga mata kuru. It's what you'd expect a Japanese music video to look like. Still seeking an explanation as to was is being said at the start of the Kanon video, though!

The first time I saw DCT live, in Osaka, March 2005 during the Diamond 15 tour. They opened with Asahi No Senrei, which segwayed into Kessen Wa Kin'youbi. Two songs in and the expense of getting here was justified.

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:23 pm

At the beginning of 'Kanon,' Masa says he is running low on power, and it's very dangerous. Niehya agrees, saying he got lost the previous day while driving in the town and was afraid he would stop completely because he was low on power. Masa asks Niehya to wind him up, and Niehya complies.

Jinn
DCTJoy Member

Post by Jinn » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:44 pm

Happy Anniversary to DCT!!

I was a Sonic fan as a kid, then around 2001, somewhere online I found out that the Sonic 2 ending song originally had lyrics and came from a Japanese band, whose bassist composed the songs for Sonic 1 and 2. I promptly listened to it (Sweet Sweet Sweet), loved it, I was hooked. (But in the end my first DCT experience was the Sonic 1 soundtrack, and I had no idea :lol: )

It's hard to pick one, but I think it's 24/7

monkey girl odissey!

Snow Dance! It was the first DCT PV I downloaded (which took ages back then) and I still love it to bits. Can't believe I went to Japan and didn't visit the Snow Dance route :lol:

The entire concert blew me away, but I think it was Miwa flying on a bike singing Ring! Ring! Ring! :lol:

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Jei wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:34 pm
A "Your DCT Experience (30th anniversary edition)" short questionnaire? :)

I was searching for random JPOP back in 2002 then I found one single MP3 file for Itsu no ma ni. It was the ONLY DCT song on the website, I was hooked! Yet it took me a few months to realize that DCT did the soundtrack for Sonic. I spend SO much time playing Sonic so I basically flipped out listening to Sweet Sweet Sweet :lol:

Snow Dance. It took me months on end practicing it at the karaoke but after much trying, now I can sing the entire song.

Swinging Star. I mean Sweet Sweet Sweet and Namida to Tatakatteru. Enough said :D

24/7. It was the first one I have ever seen.

newrynyuk
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by newrynyuk » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:25 am

Jei wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:02 pm

In either mid/late '92/early '93, I asked a Japanese pen pal to send me a mixtape of what was popular in Japan at the time.
The first three songs on her mixtape were songs from "Swinging Star". The very first song I heard was "Kessen wa kin'youbi". The 70s vibe from "Kessen" was very much my speed and Miwa's voice was sensational...knew I'd found a new fave band :)

"Sankyu"...DCT & David T. at their best :)

Even to this day, I go back and forth between "Magic" and "Wonder 3"...both perfect albums :)

Split between "Snow Dance" & "Asa ga mata kuru". Love the one-shot feel of "Snow Dance" and the inventiveness & vibrance of "Asa ga mata kuru"

Wonderland 2011 (Tokyo)...watching Miwa & Masa walk down the stadium steps from a few feet away after they had just lit the Olympic flame... :)
Ever listen to Facing West by Pat Metheny? The sound of Sankyu is totally based on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8imgW-7f0M

Yukifox
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by Yukifox » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:31 am

Always coming back. n.n Winter brings me back here. Hehe.

First first was the ending theme for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when I was very young. But I found them again later after hearing them on a stepfile pack for Stepmania! I was aware that Masa was a part of DCT and that he'd done the music for Sonic, so I recognized the name when I saw it and found there was an entire pack of their music there! So I got acquainted with the songs included and fell in love~

Oh, that's a tough one. I think my perennial favorite is Lat 43*N, followed closely by Osaka Lover.

It should come as no surprise then that my favorite albums are a toss up between Love Goes On... and And I Love You. n.n

Oddly enough, it's Snow Dance! There's something about its elegant simplicity that I really enjoy. n.n

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by sdankoehler » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:29 am

Sonic the Hedgehog, but I didn't know it back then. In 1996 I started dating a Japanese girl (no longer with said girl). Dreams Come True was her favorite band. Oddly enough I became more hooked than her! First song I knowingly listened to was Signs of Love.

Signs of Love because it was the one that got me hooked.

Sing or Die, because it was the first full CD of them I ever owned.

Children of the Sun - The live concert from Sing or Die.

Miwa grabbing my hand during Ai Suru Kokoro during the encore of their concert at The Fillmore in San Francisco, October 16, 2002. Masa also shook my hand at the beginning and end of the show. I was STUNNED, and the 2 Japanese girls on either side of me kept asking me "Why they choose you?!" I honestly have no idea! Wonderland 2007 was also epic, I watch the video of it all the time, and being in Tokyo meeting other members of the DCTJoy forum was awesome, but I was probably a football field away from the stage, which, in fairness I expected.