B&H2-The masterpiece

General talk about everything Dreams Come True related
zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

B&H2-The masterpiece

Post by zberry » Mon May 19, 2003 2:27 am

I don't know what other word to use to describe B&H2. It took a couple listens for it to sink in, but I think this is the best record Miwa has ever made. Listening to it, I can't think of a singe song that isn't great. No filler, all killer, as they say. I'll go even further: This is a groundbreaking record that is going to cement Miwa's status as one of the great singers of all time.
I really think this is a recording best listened to all the way through. It has a great flow from one song to the next. I get the impression that everyone involved brought their 'A' game on this one. The production is awesome. The arrangements are awesome. The songs are awesome. The playing is awesome. And of course, the singing by Miwa is awesome.
I can only shake my head in amazement. This is no frivolous side project. They're playing for high stakes on this one. She has already set such a high standard, but then to come out with this inspired record is just unbelievable.
One of the great things about the record is that the musicians get plenty of chances to express their creativity, and it adds a lot.
Excuse me for not knowing all the names of the songs. I taped it and have been listening to the tape mostly.
It has a "theme" that serves as bookends at the beginning and end. Not much to say about it, except that it sounds beautiful.
The second track starts off inauspiciously, but it soon takes off. It's like warm sunshine bursting through the clouds. Think about all the things you love about Miwa and Masa's music, roll them all up, and you'd get something like this.
The following tune is just as good.
A couple of jazzier tunes follow, with lots of great playing and great singing. It's at this point that I realized the worst songs on this record are nothing less than great.
Anata no Kawaii Hito is just Miwa at her best. At the beginning, she gives a little laugh. Like some of the other songs, there's a slick tempo change.
"The lessons" follows, a great song, with some great bass riffs.
"Otana Jan" is simply stupendous. A song that works on every level.
The last song (before the ending theme), is one of the most beautiful ballads she's ever sung.
All in all, this is a tape-measure home run. Not just a great Miwa record. A great record period.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Mon May 19, 2003 4:11 am

That good, huh?

When I rented DCT's entire catalog in 1999 [gotta love Japanese video rental stores], I also got B&H, but only made one mp3 -- "bye-bye".

Guess I'll have to get B&H2 to check it out.

Good news is that Miwa has said [in '95 IIRC] she wants to do this for the next 20+ years...

zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by zberry » Tue May 20, 2003 10:02 am

In my opinion, she's taken her game to a higher level on this one, really crafting a record as opposed to a collection of songs. And the playing is incredible. These are some of the best session men and they get plenty of chances to show their stuff. But always within the context of the song and always supplementing it rather than distracting from it. The producers did an incredible job.
This is one of the best records I've heard in a long time. It has at least four legitimate hit singles (not sure if the term hit single is relevant anymore, though). But really it's best played in its entirety, beginning to end.
Another 20 years of this would be fine by me!