Universal to give away free music

General talk about everything Dreams Come True related
Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Universal to give away free music

Post by Jei » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:23 pm

It looks like Universal music is going to allow free downloads of their music via a new music service called SpiralFrog:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/b194883e-36b2-1 ... e2340.html

I bring this up since Universal Japan is DCT's distributor... If SpiralFrog works out, we might be able to see DCT songs for free whenever the Japanese version comes out...^^

Thoughts?
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

M'Turk
DCTJoy Chibi

Post by M'Turk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:58 pm

Well it might just work....

Initially, Spiralfrog will be restricted to the US/Canada so if the Japanese companies follow suit, will they restrict their music to Japan? And with limitations like this will anybody bother to offer low volume titles under the service. In the West DCT is low volume so they'd be one of the last bands I'd expect to be made available.

Apple don't seem to be on board at the mo'. Only DRM wma downloads so you can't play the music on Ipods and most(?) other players. Maybe not an issue if you aren't handing over any money for them.

I don't like didgital downloads because if I'm spending my money, I like to have a shiny silver disc; something tangible for my money, so if it costs nowt I might just become interested.... later.... maybe.
On the internet,
Nobody knows you're a dog.

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:46 pm

M'Turk wrote: I don't like didgital downloads because if I'm spending my money, I like to have a shiny silver disc; something tangible for my money, so if it costs nowt I might just become interested.... later.... maybe.
I couldn't agree more. I come from the LP times (I actually took too long to be able to afford a CD player but anyway) I've got used to having a cover and a booklet to look at. Not to mention a huge black disc - or a tiny silver disc to see where my money is going to. I love having DCT's singles for instance, it is like I'm holding a piece of DCT's history in my hands. I don't quite get the "feel" of an album without having the CD itself.

For one thing I will hate MP3s forever: I actually hear the compression, it drives totally crazy. Actually the reason I buy CDs is to have a good sound quality source, I dump them in FLAC to listen to in my computer. Although at 192+ kbps without hearing a non compressed source first, it is hard to tell the difference. But anything lower than 112 kbps hurts my ears.

Having said it all, I just wish recording companies would get real and make CDs a bit cheaper! Just cheaper enough so more people would buy them and they would still profit - if not profit even MORE than now.

M'Turk
DCTJoy Chibi

Post by M'Turk » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:16 pm

nakoruru, you finished my post off for me :lol:

MP3s are wondderfully convenient, but I don't think people really listen to to the music in they way the do a CD. With a LP, the act of lowering the stylus onto the the disc somehow puts you in a frame of mind to listen to the music much more carefully but I rarely have the time to do that. Besides, CDs are much easier to import, so I think they're the best compromise.

I hate the compression with mp3s too. 129kbps isn't 'near CD' quality. It's more like 'near compact cassete without the hiss' quality. I've never gone in for FLAC though. 320kbps/ogg q7 is good enough for me and 192kbps is fine for use in a portable player out and about.
On the internet,
Nobody knows you're a dog.

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:12 pm

People! :shock: Now we can download Diamond 15 from Universal Music's site according to DCTGarden:

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/dct/

I don't have the time to try to figure out how to download now. If anyone manages let us know! I will try it later.

Kohaku
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by Kohaku » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:39 pm

I think that downloading of the Diamond 15 songs is just for mobile devices.