Possible inspiration for "Kessen wa Kinyoubi"?

General talk about everything Dreams Come True related
Mercury
DCTJoy Member

Possible inspiration for "Kessen wa Kinyoubi"?

Post by Mercury » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:04 am

I was listening to the radio and heard The Emotions, "The Best of My Love", and I was struck by a number of similarities to DCT songs it contained. While listening to it, I was strongly reminded of "Takaku Agere!" (the horn section), and the BGM from Labyrinth Zone, but mostly of "Kessen wa Kinyoubi".

I immediately checked out DCTjoy's listing for Masa's favourites album, "Dance with Kalimba", and sure enough it was there.

That would have been it, but I was listening to the radio a few weeks later, and heard Cheryl Lynn's "Got to be Real". Now this really reminded me of "Kessen wa Kinyoubi" - and not just in the bassline, but in almost every single aspect. But it's not present on "Dance with Kalimba", so I had no proof Masa ever heard it.

I shrugged and ignored it, but much later I was watching a live performance of "Kessen wa Kinyoubi", and at the end of the song, Miwa started singing the words "got to be real" in English! :shock: So, either she's acknowledging the inspiration for "Kessen", or at the very least, acknowledging the similarities.

Of course, I can't post links to YouTube videos (and this particular one isn't there anymore, anyway). Furthermore, there were no identifying logos or anything in the video, so I can't be sure when it's from or which show it appeared on.

So I'm asking if anyone else has ever noticed this, or if it's just me that's discovered this intriguing connection.

(The above is stuff I noticed quite a while ago, I'm just now getting around to bringing it up.)

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:40 am

I'm absolutely with you on that. I've always felt that "Kessen" was influenced by "Got To Be Real". The horns close to the end of "Kessen" always sounded like the horns close to the end of "Real". And the high pitched Miwa+background vocals at the end of song reminded me of "Real" too.

Masa & Miwa are big 70s R&B fans (especially Earth, Wind & Fire & Barry White), so there's certainly an influence :)

Side Note: I'm a big 70s R&B fan too and "Kessen" was the first DCT song I ever heard. Made an immediate connection with me... :)
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:40 pm

Have you guys ever heard Earth, Wind and Fire's "Let's Groove"? I'm quite sure this song inspired Kessen wa Kinyoubi. Once you hear it, you will see what I mean. ^^

I knew both of these songs mentioned here but as everything I heard on the radio as a kid, I had no idea the name of the songs. I really should take the time to hear more R&B from the 70s since it was big on the radios here. And I do like it, of course.

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:28 pm

The bassline on the intro to 'Kessen' sounds like the intro to 'Let's Groove' transposed into a minor key- good ear, nakoruru.

Ahh, that 70's music...

Yukifox
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by Yukifox » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Kind of similar to "Boogie Wonderland" especially the baseline and the horns involved. n.n;

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:57 pm

nogizaka wrote:The bassline on the intro to 'Kessen' sounds like the intro to 'Let's Groove' transposed into a minor key- good ear, nakoruru.
I can't take credits for this one. Kudou told me about this song in one of those nights we spent on Utatane chatting. I miss the times I used to spend nights on the computer... *sigh*

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:18 am

I forgot that 'Let's Groove' is actually an 80's song. Earth Wind and Fire were primarily a 70's band, although their career extended into the 80's. 'Let's Groove' was the last big hit I remember them having.

newrynyuk
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by newrynyuk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:00 pm

That's true! I know "Let's Groove" by Earth Wind & Fire and it never occured to be that there is a similarity.

One DCT song inspiration I picked up on instantly though was "Sankyu". VERY heavily influenced by Pat Metheny's "Facing West", which preceded Sankyu by 3 years. Look it up on Spotify.

Johnny
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by Johnny » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:59 pm

Talking about where they got some musical influence well this isn't related and i didn't find this but in the kuwabara kuwabara video clip when there heads are together and Miwa moves her eyes they copied that from an 80's pop group called Swing Out Sister- Break Out check the video or pv for Break Out to see what I mean the head part is pretty much the same.
Masa and Miwa and Takahiro too
now a duo dreams come true. :)

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 pm

These two groups have a few things in common, including two male members and a female vocalist, and losing one of the male members. SOS predates DCT by a few years, and their styles are similar, but SOS never achieved the same status in the U.S. that DCT has in Japan. Interestingly, SOS has a big following in Japan, to the point where several of their albums were issued in Japan only. Most of their catalog is not available in the U.S. I have their first album 'It's Better to Travel,' with their only U.S. hit 'Breakout,' and not surprisingly enjoy it quite a lot.

Mercury
DCTJoy Member

Post by Mercury » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:26 am

I'd never heard Swing Out Sister before. "Breakout" reminds me of Ureshii Tanoshii Daisuki in the bass, and a bit of Nena, too. I'll have to check out more of their stuff for sure!

I've always loved "Let's Groove". I heard it first when I was really little, and always pictured a dancing Robot, because of the vocoded voice. Speaking of EWF songs that sound like DCT, "After the Love has Gone" reminds me of both "Sweet Dream" and "Mirai Yosouzu". Because of DCT, I'm finding new appreciation for older music I would have never otherwise listened to - it's really fun.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:48 am

Was a big fan of SOS when their first album came out "It's Better To Travel". There's an import "Greatest Hits" that you can order that has all their hits (Japan and otherwise). I remember referring to DCT as a "Japanese SOS" to friends when I first discovered them...
-Jay

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:54 pm

And of course, I forgot the most obvious R&B 70s-DCT connection...

Earth, Wind & Fire lead singer Maurice White sang backing vocals on DCT's 1994 #1 hit "Wherever You Are" :)
-Jay

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by sdankoehler » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:14 am

The first time I heard "Let's Groove" I knew I recognized the bass line. Ironically I first heard it on Kohaku Utagassen performed by an all star cast of Japanese singers.

Johnny
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by Johnny » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 pm

Sorry I didn't really mean SOS was similar in musical style I was just referring to the part in there video clip break out and the similarity in one part in the Kuwabara Kuwabara videoclip.

But in saying that musically there is a little similarity but you have already mentioned other possible influences DCT have been influenced by. Maybe some of the bands or types of music masa likes like songs off the dance for kalimba cd, alot of songs are by earth wind and fire but I dunno maybe checkout the other bands\singers on there for similarity's in musical style.

I'll post some screen shots of what I meant below:

well it's similar I dunno
Masa and Miwa and Takahiro too
now a duo dreams come true. :)