Hijimemashite!

Let your fellow fans know who you are, where you're from, why you love DCT, etc...
KogeJoe
DCTJoy Salad

Hijimemashite!

Post by KogeJoe » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:27 pm

I am a student of the Japanese language, and I've been studying for 6 years already.

I got to know DCT through the soap opera "Ai shiteru to itte kure." A teacher showed us an episode to get us used to hearing Japanese, and when the theme song came on (Love Love Love), I really liked the musical style and I investigated who had done it. After finding out it was DCT I immediately went to look for more music, as I fell more and more in love with the eclectic musical style that is DCT.

So anyway, aside from Japanese language and culture, I am a bit of a musician myself. I play (or rather try to play) the piano. Trying to become an English language instructor in Japan through JET.

Other J-Pop artists I like include Every Little Thing, Utada Hikaru, The Brilliant Green, Shiina Ringo, Spitsu, Wurufuruzu, Glay and The Boom.

I also enjoy videogame music from the following artists; Koji Kondo, Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda and Masahiro Matsuda.

LOVE DCT!

Douzo Yoroshiku, Onegai itashimasu.

KogeJoe

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:39 pm

Welcome, welcome!! :D A fellow pianist aswell!

Koji kondo fan - I must hear more of his music. I always compare him to Masa and said he wasn't very good.... must give him a chance. Mind you, I was a sega guy! :P

Do you like/have you heard of Howard Drossin or Yuzo Koshiro?

- James

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Re: Hijimemashite!

Post by Jei » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:42 pm

Welcome KogeJoe!
KogeJoe wrote: I got to know DCT through the soap opera "Ai shiteru to itte kure." A teacher showed us an episode to get us used to hearing Japanese, and when the theme song came on (Love Love Love)
Great way to get introduced to to group...their most popular song :)
So what's your fave DCT song and album?

KogeJoe wrote: Trying to become an English language instructor in Japan through JET.
Good luck with that!
A good friend of mine been teaching English for NOVA for years...he's enjoyed the whole experience immensely...^^

KogeJoe wrote: Other J-Pop artists I like include Every Little Thing, Utada Hikaru, The Brilliant Green, Shiina Ringo, Spitsu, Wurufuruzu, Glay and The Boom.
Wurufuruzu is "Ulfuls", right?

I'm a big fan of Shena Ringo too...she's the only Japanese artists other than DCT that I buy sight unseen (music unheard ^^). I think she could make it here in the states...but she's so whimsical, lord knows what she really wants...^^

Have you been keeping up with Utada's attempt to make it into the US market?
KogeJoe wrote: Douzo Yoroshiku, Onegai itashimasu.
Irrashae! :)
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

KogeJoe
DCTJoy Salad

Post by KogeJoe » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:42 pm

ha ha ha!

Yeah, Masa was definitely SEGA.

Unfortunately I have not heard of Howard Drossin or Yuzo Koshiro. What games did they write for? Perhaps I have heard their music but never found out who wrote it.

About being a pianist, perhaps I'm more of just a dabbler. You are probably much better than I am as I don't practice too much. I also suck at sight reading. I am better at memorizing than anything... :oops:

But I want to get good. Must practice alot! :lol:

~KogeJoe

KogeJoe
DCTJoy Salad

Post by KogeJoe » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:09 pm

Favorite song? That's kinda hard as I like em all! :P But I think "Sankyu" is it. Favorite album? It is Delicious. But you know, there is so much I haven't heard yet.

Here is a list of what I HAVE listened to...

Monkey Girl Oddyssey (Spelling?)
Monster
Sing or Die (Both Versions)
Love Unlimited
Delicious
Magic
Dreams Come True - Best Album

This means I still need to hear...

Swinging Star
Million Kisses
Wonder 3
Love Goes On
Dreams Come True

Yeah, I hope JET calls me soon... :roll:

Yeah, I think it is Ufuls... but I guess I never seen it spelled and I always hear just "urufuruzu," heh heh...

Yeah, I think if marketed correctly Shena might get a following in the states... But you are right. She's all over the place!

Utada's trying to make it in the states? I think she might be able to pull it off. Aside from music that is quite popular, she also can sing in English better than most J-Pop artists I've heard. Good luck to her!

Back to DCT, what other countries have they toured, and what other languages have they done in besides English? You know, I think their music might be appreciated in Mexico. The music is great, and the song's translations pretty much resemble themes touched often in Mexican pop. The only thing might be the language barrier. This might sound off, and pretty much like daydreaming, but it would be awesome if they could get Spanish translations to some of their hit songs, and have a willing (and good) group to do covers of them. DCT already has great music, all they need to do is find a good voice. It would be great if Miwa could sing them herself, but I dunno how she would feel starting over on a language all over again...

Just a thought... :D

nakoruru
DCTJoy JET!

Post by nakoruru » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:25 am

KogeJoe, funny that you mentioned spanish because on their latest single "Ola Vitoria", Miwa sings some lines in portuguese. And as I already mentioned here, she has less accent than many japanese people living here have!

As far as I know they only toured so far US besides Japan of course. What I find hard to believe is that Brazil has the biggest japanese colony, here in Sao Paulo city yet very few japanese artists come to perform here. :roll: If only DCT would come down here to play... *sigh*

Koshiro Yuzo rocks! I love Streets of Rage and Shinobi's soundtrack. Specially Shinobi 3. Definitely he's one great composer.

Priscila.

James
DCTJoy 24/7

Post by James » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:00 am

KogeJoe wrote: Unfortunately I have not heard of Howard Drossin or Yuzo Koshiro. What games did they write for? Perhaps I have heard their music but never found out who wrote it.
Howard Drossin did Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic Spinball (he's done loads of other games). I only know Yuzo Koshiro through the master system Sonic 1 but he seems to be famous for his Streets of Rage and Revenge of Shinobi scores.
KogeJoe wrote: About being a pianist, perhaps I'm more of just a dabbler. You are probably much better than I am as I don't practice too much. I also suck at sight reading. I am better at memorizing than anything... :oops:

:lol: As my Music Tech teacher told me "You don't have to be able to read music to be a good musician" I so agree with him! Just keep at it!

- James

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:38 am

KogeJoe wrote:Favorite song? That's kinda hard as I like em all! :P But I think "Sankyu" is it.
Word! That's mine too...I love that they use that as one of their ending songs in most concerts :)
KogeJoe wrote: Dreams Come True - Best Album
Is this the 'The Soul'...or does it have a grey cover?
KogeJoe wrote: Swinging Star
Million Kisses
Wonder 3
Love Goes On
Dreams Come True
Ahh..the original five...you'll dig 'em!
There's some serious classics in those :)
KogeJoe wrote: Utada's trying to make it in the states? I think she might be able to pull it off.
She has an album coming out in October and her first wide release single comes out in September. Right now she has a dance club single, "Devil Inside" burning up the dance/trance charts.
You can check her out here: http://www.utada.com/

Welcome again! :)
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

KogeJoe
DCTJoy Salad

Post by KogeJoe » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:49 pm

"Is this the 'The Soul'...or does it have a grey cover?"

Grey cover! ^_^

Gonna go check out Utada now!

~KogeJoe

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:52 pm

"Every Little Thing, Utada Hikaru, The Brilliant Green, Shiina Ringo"

pretty good taste -- all of them have songs I can listen to...

TBG came out of the gate scorchin', but I lost track of them after leaving Japan.

Good luck with JET -- they're just starting up the 2004/2005 teaching year, and I believe applications for 2005/2006 are available next month.

I'd love to join JET, but according to their rules I'm not eligible to apply until 2008, making me over their 40-year soft age limit.

JET is the safe route, but it is also very possible to get a job by just going over. It's risky, and you'll never really know what you'll end up with, but if you've got what it takes chances are you'll enjoy it more than JET, since JET is a real mixed bag. I got to teach college kids 1992-1995, and letme tell you I'd take a day of teaching my peers with pretty good english over 30 minutes of babysitting a bunch of brats...

KogeJoe
DCTJoy Salad

Post by KogeJoe » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:46 am

I have only now just realized I misspelled "hajimemashite..." Hah hah hah!

Anyway, there are a few more bands I liked while I was in Japan. Southern All Stars! Though the only album I've heard so far is Ballad 3 or something like that. Another band which I don't know if it could be counted as J-Pop is Tokyo Ska Paradise. Also Lisa Ono who sings in Brazilian Samba style. I might be missing some other music but this is all I can remember for now...

Oh yes! I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Miyazaki films? I love his composer, Joe Hisaishi. I am a very sentimental soul, and his music often brings the feeling of "natsukashii" over me...

Back to JET, yeah I have my foot in the door as an alternate, which means I can only go should someone chicken out. :cry: But I am looking over other options. You have mentioned I don't know what I will end up with in JET, and I think that's one of the downers. I have had nightmares of sitting in a class full of students that don't give a crap. On the otherhand I have such sweet dreams of living in Japan, and I guess at this point i'd be willing to go through anything... (at this point is the key word here... I might regret it once I'm in an elementary school...)

But anyway, I have a friend that works at Nintendo, and he says he knows this lady that owns her own English school. He tells me she is interested and wants to see a resume, so I'm gonna see where I can go with that...