Hello from Nikko

Let your fellow fans know who you are, where you're from, why you love DCT, etc...
DaiDCTfan
DCTJoy Chibi

Hello from Nikko

Post by DaiDCTfan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:37 pm

Hello Everyone,

I’m a die-hard Dreams Come True fan from Minnesota, but now living in Nikko, Japan and I can’t tell you how happy I was to find fellow English-speaking DCT fans.

I’ve known about and liked DCT for around 5 or 6 years now, but only as a very casual fan. My wife (Japanese) had a couple of their CDs including Miwa’s Beauty & Harmony. I’d never heard a voice like hers. And even if I couldn’t understand what she was singing, I was mesmerized by her talent. I was even more impressed when I found out that the band actually wrote their own stuff.

As I said, I was only a casual fan listening to their music only occasionally. Then this past January I heard about Miwa’s husband passing away (I know I was late on getting the news). I felt so bad for her. My image of her has always been a positive upbeat person who brings joy and happiness to all around her (and those far away). To have something so terrible happen to such a gem of a person seemed unfair.

So in my own way, I started praying for her to gain the ability to find a deeper meaning in the tragedy and be able to move on. The only English news I found was something out of King Masa’s blog that said he was with Miwa and her family trying to make her feel better by telling jokes, but he felt helpless. I really wanted more news. So I kept searching on line.

And, as I did I found many videos and many, many songs I’d never heard before. I ended up spending many nights watching DCT videos until early morning and with every song I became more and more amazed at how powerful she is as a singer and how effortlessly she reaches notes rockets can’t get to.

I started sending links to the videos to my family and friends, but only got cool responses from them like, “That’s nice.” or “She’s cute.”

I would scream (or write in capital letters) ARE YOU KIDDING?!!! THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST VOICES IN THE WORLD!!!! But, they didn’t change.

I thought the world was really missing something by not hearing Miwa so I thought I would start a web site and introduce her to the world. I decided that I would put lyrics up in kanji, romaji and then translate them (even though my Japanese level is NOT good--especially my reading ability). I would have videos on the site they can watch and a recommended list for virgin DCT fans. Also a forum for fans to get together and talk about Dreams Come True. And a photo gallery.

I had come across DCTjoy a few times but never looked at it in depth. When I did and found out that Jei was doing exactly what I was thinking of, I was very happy. Someone else with a magnificent obsession. I love this site and appreciate all the hard work that must have gone into it. Now, Jei, you just need a video page or a place with links to videos and a library of photos of the band and your set. I’m actually not sure if that’s illegal or not.

Anyway, I just came here to say “Hi.”

Hi

I’ll try to keep my posts shorter, but I must warn you I am passionate about DCT and may get carried away on occasion.

Thanks again Jei for starting this (I assume your the heart behind this).

I’ll see you on the message boards.
When an Angel sings, don't worry about the language.

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:03 am

Hello DaiDCTfan!

If you're passionate about DCT, you've found the right place to say so!

I've gotten the same response from people I've exposed to DCT (even J-pop fans- "Oh yeah, DCT".) as you have. Possibly because of the language barrier. Perhaps because DCT are difficult to categorize musically. Or maybe because we've found THE band for us, and they just don't understand. I don't know, but I know what I like.

Welcome!

DaiDCTfan
DCTJoy Chibi

Post by DaiDCTfan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:06 pm

You're so right, Nogizaka. We have found the perfect band for us. I guess it's not my place to cram my musical tastes down other people's throats.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Welcome to the forum DaiDCTFan!
(Sorry it took so much time ^^)
Glad to meet another diehard :)

Nothing wrong with getting carried away, especially on this forum. ^^
I agree with you on others not understanding...I really think it's the language barrier for some people. I've had people tell me they enjoyed the music & energy...but it would be really nice if they knew what was being said.

Still, I've yet to meet anyone who didn't think she had one hell of a voice. :)

So...got some questions for you:

1) Favorite Album?
2) Favorite Song?
3) Favorite Music Video?
4) Favorite Concert?
5) Favorite non-DCT JMusic band?

Welcome again!
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Miwa has a very honest singing voice, and you really don't get to hear her true voice much either when she is speaking in concert or (especially) in TV appearances.

Her voicing in the interlude 3:40~4:00 in Ginga-he-no-Fune:

Itsuka aeru
MAZERAN-to RANDEVUU
VIINASU-no-kougen koete

is so clear and light and open.

DaiDCTfan
DCTJoy Chibi

Post by DaiDCTfan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:32 am

Miwa has a very honest singing voice, and you really don't get to hear her true voice much either when she is speaking in concert or (especially) in TV appearances.

Tachikaze, you are right. When listening to Miwa sing you can tell she's got so much more in her. One of the reasons I love her so much. I'd love to hear her really let it loose.

And, Jei, to answer your questions:

1) Favorite Album?
--Swinging Star and Delicious
1b) Favorite English Album?
--I haven't heard ""Monster" yet (haven't found it in any store yet), but I like "Love Overflows" more than "Sing or Die"
2) Favorite Song?
--can't choose one so I'll give you a list (which would be different if were to give it to you tomorrow) Aishiteru no Sign, Jet, Snow Dance, Love Letter, Eternity, Nan do demo, Thank you, Bye Bye (from Beauty & Harmony), Memai, Sweet Dream, Romance and many Japanese ones I don't even know the names of
3) Favorite Music Video?
--Again so many, but Jet, Eternity, Song of Joy, Snow Dance, Anata ni Salada, Love Letter (which I can no longer find on You Tube), the version of 何度でも LOVE LOVE LOVE where they sing with a bunch of University students [Vid link removed --Admin]
And the great acoustic version of Ureshii, Tanoshii, Daisukii recorded at a concert in Yokoyama [Vid link removed --Admin]
4) Favorite Concert?
--Except for the You Tube videos, I haven't seen a concert DVD. I've got to get some of those.
I'm hoping to go to a concert this November if the rumor is true. I actually have a very distant connection to DCT. My wife's mother's friend's daughter is married to Masa's brother and she works for DCT although I don't know what she does (did you follow that connection?). Anyway, my mother-in-law asked her friend if her daughter could get me some tickets to a concert and she said no problem. Of course there hasn't been any concerts for awhile, but another die hard fan here started begging my wife for tickets to the November concert. We haven't heard anything about a November concert, but he swears he heard there was going to be one. Does anyone know anything about this? My wife said we'd probably get great seats, but I think that, although Masa's sister-in-law probably can get her hands on some great tickets, the chances of her giving them to her mom's friend's daughter and her husband is pretty slim. So I'll be happy with just going to the concert.
5) Favorite non-DCT JMusic band?
---Totally different from DCT, but I love Jimmy Buffett.

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:44 pm

If you can't find 'The Monster (Universal Version)' around Nikko, you'll find it in Tokyo without a problem- I saw a number of copies when I visited last Christmas. Definitely the best of the three.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Tsutaya (Ebisu store) had DCT's entire catalogue for rent, back in 1999 at least.

And yes I rented it in one go for around Y4000, and yes it was good.

amazon.co.jp has eg. DREAMAGE - DREAMS COME TRUE LOVE BALLAD COLLECTION fpr Y3190 and free shipping. Seems reasonable.

Edit: ... for Japan at least.

DaiDCTfan
DCTJoy Chibi

Post by DaiDCTfan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm going to Tokyo this Sunday so I can look. Can't wait.

Sorry about posting video links. Didn't know it was a no-no. It won't happen again :oops:

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:45 am

If paying full price for new discs is too much, stop at any 'Book-Off' used media store (there's almost always one near each train station) and you'll find used copies at very reasonable (as low as 100 Yen!) prices. Look around a bit more, and you'll find the smaller used CD and video chains, as well as the independent dealers, where some real gems may be located. I have seen copies of virtually everything DCT has done in these shops. Have fun!

DaiDCTfan
DCTJoy Chibi

Post by DaiDCTfan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:40 am

Actually, Nogizaka, I've gotten many of my DCT Cds at Book Off for 250 yen. I love that place. I'll check there first. I really want Monster though, so I wll pay full price if need be.

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:42 pm

What were the results of your shopping trip? The suspense was starting to kill me...

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:07 am

It appears that DaiDCTfan's hearing rumors about a concert in November are true. DCT will perform a series of shows in several Japanese cities beginning November 11th as part of Winter Fantasia 2008. The shows, however, appear to be closed to all except POWER PLANT members- I found out about them through my newsletter- so tickets do not seem to be available to the public, at least at this time.

My wife and I would love to attend, which might be possible as the last two shows will be in Yoyogi on the 23d and 24th of December, so my vacation schedule makes it a big 'if'. Also, obtaining tickets is a convoluted process as most likely every POWER PLANT member in Japan will want them. The biggest detail, though, is our new house- we may not be able to afford a trip to Japan this year, but of course we're not ruling it out yet.

DCT will perform fans' favorite Winter songs- I hope we can make it!

DaiDCTfan
DCTJoy Chibi

Post by DaiDCTfan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:42 am

Sorry I've been away from here awhile. I still haven't found the "Monster" CD. I'll keep looking though. Thanks for the concert update. It is now time to see if there is any chance of getting tickets through my dubious connection. I'll keep you posted.