Hello from new member

Let your fellow fans know who you are, where you're from, why you love DCT, etc...
Bandman
DCTJoy Chibi

Hello from new member

Post by Bandman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:41 am

Hi!

I am a new member, and as an introduction I express below my musings on the questions "why now, why DCT, why me?"

I will start by saying, preaching to the choir, that DCT is fantastic! What range, what quality, what fun! They do bring beauty and harmony, and simply happiness to their listeners.

And I am amazed to find that I enjoy the music more because it is in Japanese, although I have no Japanese heritage or familiarity with the language.

I came to this interest in J-pop by chance last June via two discoveries on You Tube and the like. First, I first found the 1996 video of "Sugar Water" by Cibo Matto, which is like a visual palindrome, and hence a lot of fun to watch and study how they did it, and it is a good song too.

Second, purely by chance again, I clicked and found music videos by "Core of Soul," fronted in the late 90s and early 2000s by none other than Fukiko Nakamura, who became "Love" when she went solo in 2006 or 2007. I found Corichan's website for romaji lyrics of J-pop songs.

By October, I was getting more and more interested in the genre and figured out that Love was hosted by DCTgarden.com, and my interests turned to DCT, and their great body of work.

Initially, the first songs that caught my attention were

Asa ga mata kuru (music video with the four seasons), Kessen wa Kin'youbi (mid-1990's TV appearance), Memai (2006 Concert), and
SNOW DANCE (1999 concert).

Now, as I have discovered a lot more of their videos on the web, and purchased a few second-hand DVDs, some of my favorites are:

STILL and Jikan Ryokou (both of the 1999 concert), I think you do (2007 concert), おやすみのうた (the 13th and last song on the Delicious album, which Google Translator says is "Song of the night)" and most of Miwa's jazz recordings, Beauty and Harmony 1 and 2.

I am blown away by their performances in the 2006, 2007, and 2008 concerts. Spectacular!

My preferences are towards their R&B, funky, and jazzy songs, but I also like some of the ballads. There is such a spectrum of styles and kinds of songs.

So it's been about 4 months that I have been looking and finding DCT's material on line, and learning the story of Miwa and Masa.

And then I thought I would like to be a part of the DCT Joy forum with others who share this interest.

Thus far, few of my acquaintances or family members are as enthusiastic about DCT as I am. Generally, I find few who are as captivated by their music as I am. Perhaps this is a common experience of other forum members. Certainly you will convince me that there's nothing wrong with me or us?

-Bandman
-Bandman

Mercury
DCTJoy Member

Post by Mercury » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:47 am

Welcome to the board, Bandman! :D
Thus far, few of my acquaintances or family members are as enthusiastic about DCT as I am. Generally, I find few who are as captivated by their music as I am. Perhaps this is a common experience of other forum members. Certainly you will convince me that there's nothing wrong with me or us?
Haha! My best friends like DCT, too, but probably not as much as I do. Just give them time, and maybe they'll come around! :wink: Play them ''Wonder 3'' or ''Diamond 15'' - it doesn't get much better than that.
I came to this interest in J-pop by chance last June via two discoveries on You Tube and the like. First, I first found the 1996 video of "Sugar Water" by Cibo Matto, which is like a visual palindrome, and hence a lot of fun to watch and study how they did it, and it is a good song too.
That's funny, I liked this video a lot, too. Michel Gondry is one of my favourite directors.

See you around!

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:07 am

Welcome to the club!

oyasumi no uta basically means "Good Night Song" ("oyasumi" = "Good night!").

You can check out a similar song called 銀河への船 (Boat to the Milky Way) if you search for videos on google.

The band hit their popularity peak in the summer of 1995 -- their WL '95 DVD captures this well.

They've released 16 albums now; their first 4 albums 1989-1991 were their foundation, the next 4 1992-1996 were their great works, then with the next 4 not so powerful, and their last 4 2004-2009 reestablishing themselves.

Sadly, I only really get into their 90s work, though I do like seeing them on Kohaku Uta-gassen and their major concerts.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:56 pm

Welcome Bandman!

There's definitely nothing wrong with us. :)
I'd agree with tachikaze...check out their 1995 Wonderland concert DVD if you haven't already...DCT at their height with an awesome stage ^^

I've gotten friends interested in certain eras of DCT's catalog, but no one on the whole shebang (at least not anyone who wasn't already into Jpop).

Welcome again!
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/