Hello!

Let your fellow fans know who you are, where you're from, why you love DCT, etc...
zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Hello!

Post by zberry » Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:34 pm

I lived in Japan for 10 years. All during that time, the music of DCT was right under my nose, and I ignored it. I arrogantly thought that all Japanese music was crap.
As I was getting ready to leave, I wanted to take some things that would remind me of Japan (a place I love and hope to live in again!), so I bought some Dreams Come True CDs on a lark. I had seen the video for Asa ga mata kuru and could tell they were more than some gimmicky pop band.
Wow! What a great surprise! They are an awesome band. (And I think I have pretty good taste in music Other favorites are Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, The Who, REM, and U2).
Why do I like DCT and think they're one of the greatest bands in the world?
You have to start with the voice, of course. I mean, Miwa’s voice is what sets DCT apart (along with her and Masa’s excellent songwriting!). When you hear Miwa sing, you realize that the voice really is the ultimate instrument.
DCT mixes styles, which keeps it interesting, and Miwa can sing great in both English and Japanese.
Most importantly, she sings with her whole heart. You can always tell those who do and those who don’t. They have an added level of passion and honesty. You can’t learn it and you can’t fake it. Miwa’s got it, big-time.
The songwriting really amazes me. I think you can compare DCT to virtually any other songwriting team, except for Lennon and McCartney. They are that good. I would compare them to writers like Holland-Dozier-Holland, who wrote so many of the great Motown hits of the ‘60s, or Neil Diamond. It’s hard enough to write one song with a great hook, but to do it again and again and again is something really special.
I have never seen DCT live, only on video (that will change soon, though!), so take my comments with a grain of salt. But from what I can see, DCT looks pretty good on stage. It seems that their fans really feel like they know them (or at least know Miwa). That kind of relationship is a very rare thing. Springsteen has it, but not too many others. When it happens, it’s magic.
Song of Joy is probably my favorite song. I think it expresses better than any other song Miwa’s positive attitude and her love for music. The video on DCT Clips V-1 is especially poignant, as it was filmed in NYC and has a shot of the WTC.
The Fillmore – Oct. 16
If all goes according to plan, on 8 p.m. on Wed. Oct. 16 at the Fillmore in San Francisco, I’ll get the chance to see this amazing band. I’ll give a full report.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:06 pm

Welcome to the forums, zberry! (Or have you already been here? ^^)

Glad you had a great time at the Fillmore...now get those DCT concert videos ASAP so you can see what a Wonderland concert is all about! :)
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:10 pm

As I just posted in another thread, my experience is very similar to yours, living 1992-2000 in Tokyo, but only getting into (Nihongo-de, hamatteru) DCT in late '98. The Wonderland 95 tape blew my mind, but being a guy not all the songs (eg, 'embarrasing morning return home') just didn't click. But when I got the SoD concert DVD my mind was permanently blown -- what a powerful performance! 'Snowdance' was really great, but 24/7 didn't do much for me when I saw it on Hey Hey Music Champ last year (but it was much better seeing it live!). Luckily 'DCT Clips V1' has most of the good stuff from MGO, and I was pleasantly surprised that the band sang them in Japanese at The Fillmore (the Japanese SoD songs are usually a lot better than the corresponding English versions).

Plus it needs to be said that in hitting my 30's I've grown into their style.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Best part of the videos NOW is...

Post by tachikaze » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:16 pm

the closest 'seat' for the WL 95 concert was further than the back of the audience for the Fillmore concert. Plus the few times Miwa went down among the audience (usually running by...) doesn't quite compare to her standing in front of you for 90 minutes just singing her heart out for her newer songs.

But, interestingly, I found my Fillmore experience to be not too terribly different from the SoD video. I guess this means sitting out in a big audience is a different experience from the DVD or standing stage-front.