Travel Notes for WL 2007

Talk with your fellow DCTJoy members about anything you want!
tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Travel Notes for WL 2007

Post by tachikaze » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:43 am

Doing research, I see sankeisanjose.com has this fare (NW, SF <-> Narita):

8/21~10/22 $ 439.00

orbitz, expedia, kintetsu.com, his-usa.com, iace-usa.com, tabit-usa.com, didn't have anything close, but there's this mysterious thing called a fuel/tax surcharge, which some sites list @ $200+, so maybe this one isn't including that.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:25 pm

I stopped by the jtrip place next to the San Jose Mitsuwa . . . the guy said ANA was the cheapest at $900+ and that the $450 price in the window was for November. Damn! I got a ~$400 airfare from this place 5 years ago :(
ah. . . gas was $1.20 back then :( :(

Tax & Fuel surcharge looks to be $200++ on all the "bargain" flights the bucket-shops are adverstising . . .

hmm, looking at Orbitz ($1000+) this place's rate is a bit cheaper, and ANA is in fact the lowest airfare right now.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:39 pm

Technically I suppose one doesn't have to bring travellers' checks now. . . 7-11 has recently put ATM machines that can handle major international cards . . . http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/service2.html

Apparently US Citibank accounts can be withdrawn from Japanese Citibank ATMs.

Plus apparently the national post offices can handle foreign cards now.

I'm hesitant to use my CC since it comes with a 3% currency transaction fee. On a budget of $1000, that's $30. hmm, not so bad I guess, compared to the reaming OPEC is going to be giving me on the flight over.

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:07 pm

That's great to hear about the 7-11s! Now if they'd only do that in AM/PMs & Lawsons. ^^

In addition, Citibank ATMs can take just about any ATM card (as long as you're one one of the regular networks...Cirrus, Plus, etc). Was my godsend a few years back. ^^
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:36 pm

It's a good idea to contact your bank or credit card company to find out what limits they may place on foreign transactions- I was glad I brought more than one card- Some cards did not work at some places (JR included) but did at others.

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:07 pm

Hey Nogizaka . . . the Tokyo venue is within walking distance of . . . Nogizaka!

Also, credit unions tend to have liberal policies about reversing ATM fees, worldwide. But I'm only planning on blowing Y100,000 there over a week (not counting the JRP LOL) so I'll prolly just cash $800 in TCs at Narita. That's a normal walking-around amount in Japan, at least.

If anything catches your eye in Akihabara (or major electronics stores like Bic in the city), putting it on VISA/MC is generally straightforward. In fact, in 1995 I managed to charge my washer/drier at Bic Camera Ikebukuro . . . Y150,000 was converted at the all-time screw-me rate of Y80/USD. NOT my smartest financial move.

Hint: the post office's EMS service is a great way to mail purchases back home without having to deal with carrying them around, baggage packing, or customs hassles. Costs $30-40, depending on weight, for smallish packages around the size of a breadbox. (Never mailed anything bigger than that).

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:25 pm

*grin* My personal favorite: Let your bank and credit card company know that you'll be overseas. One charge too many in a foreign land and you'll find the card useless.

(My bank calls me every other time I buy something from CDJapan, so I know they'd kill my card in a heartbeat ^^)

And never take a cab from Narita ;)

-J
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

nogizaka
DCTJoy Wonderlander

Post by nogizaka » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:52 am

Wish I could be there... I'd make the walk gladly!

As I sit in the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel traffic each morning, I'm thinking, "Wish I was in Japan, wish I was in Japan..."