Wonderland 2003 Shiga Report Coming Soon!

Read up on the latest Dreams Come True Tour news!
Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Wonderland 2003 Shiga Report Coming Soon!

Post by Jei » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:03 pm

Hey Folks,

I just got back from Japan where I had an opportunity to see both of the Wonderland 2003 concerts that were performed at the Kibougaoka Culture Park in Shiga Prefecture ('bout 30 or so minutes outside of Kyoto) (July 19 & 20)...as well as a few other things...:)

I took detailed notes, but since there were no cameras allowed, sketches of the sets (and such) will have to do...

Some quick notes:

* Urashima Rin, David T Walker & Otani Koh return in the band...

* There's a 'beatuy & harmony' piece of the concert...

* Opening acts:
- AM60 (4 guy New York band DCT Records recently signed! Cool guys!)
- Naomi Yoshimura (Very new singer under Masa's wing...Good singer..really cute ^_-)
- SAL (They're back...definitely put on a good show!)

* Masa's radio show was extra funny with the at-concert live broadcasts (and fan packed)

* Very packed both days, but the Sunday crowd was more hyped than Saturday

* DCT played a number of older songs that surprised the crowd...(When they started 'Sweet Revenge', my inner fan damn near lost it....)

* Enjoying DCT music with many tens of thousands of rabid DCT fans is the only way to do it :)

Here some official info & small pics:
http://www.dctgarden.com/DWL2003/information/shiga.html

I'll try to get it up soon!
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/

Jen
DCTJoy Chibi

Post by Jen » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:40 pm

Ohhhhh I am so jealous of you Jei.........extremely jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are lucky that you were able to go to their concert......IN JAPAN.....THE REAL ONES.....sigh. Maybe next summer......yea.....

I'm glad you had fun!
Jen
Peace!

tachikaze
DCTJoy Swinging Star

Post by tachikaze » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:26 am

Yeah, the WL concert DVD's look pretty fun (I have '95 and summer '99).

In the interview I translated they only talked about WL, but they also did the Children of the Sun tour, and *that* performance looked even more enjoyable than a Wonderland.

I think me and Dan will disagree with you about WL being better than last year's live at the Fillmore. Both he and I got to high-five Masa at the very start of the show -- tought to beat that for audience participation! Plus us people at the front were closer to Masa and Miwa than any MTV Unplugged show I've seen. I was so close to Miwa she couldn't even see me (she'd have to really look down from the stage).

Then again the Fillmore audience wasn't all that joyful a bunch, most of them seemed to just come to check out a band they had heard of.

Jen: unfortunately DCT doesn't tour that often -- you almost have to be in the right place at the right time...

sdankoehler
DCTJoy 24/7

yup

Post by sdankoehler » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:24 pm

Hard to beat the Fillmore show for the intimacy of the whole thing. I mean, in what Wonderland does Miwa grab hands in the audience during Love Love Love? Sure, I'd love to see a Wonderland concert. As far as shows go they are the best, but nothing beats being less than a foot from them! I high-fived Masa too. It rocked! I was ready to explode right there! Never been so excited. Now if they could bring that band they have in Japan to America it would be awesome! Speaking of which, one of the old trumpet players that used to play for some of their concerts, particularly the ones on TV in Japan, and B&H 1, Greg Adams, is playing in the nearby town of Tracy, CA in a few days. I think I'll check it out.

zberry
DCTJoy Senior Member

Post by zberry » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:19 am

Sounds like a great show.
Were tickets hard to get?
The news about Rin, Koh, and David T. was good. What impresses me about those three is that they always put nearly as much passion into it as Miwa.
I'd be very interested in hearing how the B&H2 songs went over.
Also, I hear a lot of talk on their radio show about a "family circle" or something or other. How does that work? Is it a special seating section or something?
Did you happen to make a set list?

Jei
DCTJoy Grand Poobah

Post by Jei » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:25 am

zberry wrote:Sounds like a great show.
Were tickets hard to get?
Tickets were very hard to get from what I heard...
But I got in through different means...I'll explain more in my report :)
The news about Rin, Koh, and David T. was good. What impresses me about those three is that they always put nearly as much passion into it as Miwa.
Indeed! One thing that was different this time was during the 'introduction-musician-solos', Rin was included! Was nice to hear the 'Super Vocal' instrument get her own time...:)

(Actually, David T didn't get a solo, but right after the solo period, he walked out to the middle of end of the walkway with Miwa, onto a riser, and performed a duet with her for the three B&H songs)
I'd be very interested in hearing how the B&H2 songs went over.
'Namida no Mangekyo' went over very well. The crowd seemed to enjoy the other B&H songs, but were less enthusiastic...tho the crowd was alight with neon lights waving back and forth in unison...
Also, I hear a lot of talk on their radio show about a "family circle" or something or other. How does that work? Is it a special seating section or something?
There was an wide area off to the of the regular crowd area that was strictly for the families. Plenty of space for the kids to run around...for families to play together, have a picnic...a more relaxed area, not always standing areas like the normal crowd area...
Did you happen to make a set list?
Yes...still working on a few of the songs (don't have perfect memory of DCT songs...wrote down a few lyrics and am trying to match them later)...I think you'll be surprised...a number of songs they haven't played in concert in a while...it'll be part of my report...
-Jay
DCTJoy.Com - The Joy that is Dreams Come True
http://www.dctjoy.com/